Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL data - sorting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL data - sorting Post 302207439 by eagercyber on Friday 20th of June 2008 01:43:05 AM
Old 06-20-2008
In the html page, I have the format

Type id Status Open Title
Requirement 00325 In-progress 2008-06-18 Field updation status
Coding 00301 Closed 2008-05-23 Requirement analysis status

Stored files

cat data00325.txt
[info]
open: 2008-06-18
title : Field updation status

cat data00301.txt
[info]
open: 2008-05-23
title : Requirement analysis status

As Type is not stored in data files, I believe we can't sort by that. I am able to sort by status/open/title. I am exploring how status field is getting into the data file and why not 'Type' field. I believe if that gets into the file, I can sort by that too.

As a beginner in perl, seeking your guidance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting data from who by IP

Hello. I have an RS/6000 running AIX 4 and I need to be able to see if there are any users that are logged on more than once from the same terminal so I can kick them off to make room for other terminals. 64 connections is the limit. Currently I am doing this: who | more and then manually... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data from a to z

Hi, Let's say I have these 3 columns; NGC1234 6 9 SL899 4 1 NGC1075 8 3 SL709 5 2 And I want to sort the data according to the first column (from a to z) like having them as: NGC1075 8 3 NGC1234 6 9 SL709 5 2 SL899 4 1 Can that be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data

Hello guys. I need help figuring this one out. It's probably really easy. Thanks in advance! I have a file say for example containing this: Rice Food Carrots Food Beans Food Plates Kitchen Fork Kitchen Knives Kitchen I need: Food Rice, Carrots, Beans Kitchen Plates, Fork,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visuelz
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove default data hash sorting in perl script?

Hi, I have a datahash with 'n' number of values in perl script. I am writing a xml file from the datahash. I am getting output with sorting(Field sorting). My question is that i don't want any default sorting.whatever i am inserting into datahash it should give same xml file. Any help? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solo123
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting

Hi All, I have a long list made of 4 columns containing entries such as the following example: a b c d 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 2 5 3 4 3 8 4 6 4 10 9 8 5 15 8 10So the top row is the header and I need to arrange the data in a way as to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the Data

My actual data looks like below i have given only format. i can't give exact data format of my requirement due to some reasons. I this set of data lines about 5000 I need to come up with information in below exact format of my data set : Line<space>Number1<space>"somedata":... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP on Perl array / sorting - trying to convert Korn Shell Script to Perl

Hi all, Not sure if this should be in the programming forum, but I believe it will get more response under the Shell Programming and Scripting FORUM. Am trying to write a customized df script in Perl and need some help with regards to using arrays and file handlers. At the moment am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the data with date

Hi, PFB the data: C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 so the values are ending with year,i.e.,130417 i want to sort the values with date. i want the output like this: Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
5 Replies
locale(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       locale(3pm)

NAME
locale - Perl pragma to use or avoid POSIX locales for built-in operations SYNOPSIS
@x = sort @y; # Unicode sorting order { use locale; @x = sort @y; # Locale-defined sorting order } @x = sort @y; # Unicode sorting order again DESCRIPTION
This pragma tells the compiler to enable (or disable) the use of POSIX locales for built-in operations (for example, LC_CTYPE for regular expressions, LC_COLLATE for string comparison, and LC_NUMERIC for number formatting). Each "use locale" or "no locale" affects statements to the end of the enclosing BLOCK. Starting in Perl 5.16, a hybrid mode for this pragma is available, use locale ':not_characters'; which enables only the portions of locales that don't affect the character set (that is, all except LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE). This is useful when mixing Unicode and locales, including UTF-8 locales. use locale ':not_characters'; use open ":locale"; # Convert I/O to/from Unicode use POSIX qw(locale_h); # Import the LC_ALL constant setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); # Required for the next statement # to take effect printf "%.2f ", 12345.67' # Locale-defined formatting @x = sort @y; # Unicode-defined sorting order. # (Note that you will get better # results using Unicode::Collate.) See perllocale for more detailed information on how Perl supports locales. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 locale(3pm)