Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: searching through pcap files
Top Forums Programming searching through pcap files Post 302207359 by hershey101 on Thursday 19th of June 2008 04:37:34 PM
Old 06-19-2008
searching through pcap files

Hi,
I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap files by ip addresses and then records the timestamps. I know a few programs that do this type of thing such as WireShark but they take up too much memory when analyzing gigabytes of data and that is why I am looking to write a relatively simple code which just gets my task done and gathers data for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching files..?

hi there can anyone tell me how to search and copy files under unix? im writing shell scripts with 'vi' and 'pico' something like read directoryName if then echo Copying the files copy those *.src files to sub1(another directory) using cp else ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickaren
4 Replies

2. Programming

pcap.h

I cant use pcap.h include file. How can I do so? :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pervez Sajjad
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching Files

Hi, I have a file /db01/dat/march 2006/7001DW06.03B Please note, between "march 2006" there is a space/tab. While running the following script, it identifies /db01/dat/march ----> as first file 2006/7001DW06.03B ---> as second file. SRC_PATH = /db01/dat SEARCH_FILENAME =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey101
1 Replies

6. Programming

Process multiple pcap files at once

Hi all, I'm writing a program using libpcap, and I have multiple pcap files in a folder that I want to capture. I currently have handle = pcap_open_offline("/data/traffic/pcap1.pcap", errbuf"); which works fine since pcap_open_offline() takes in a filename. However, I want to process... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancer6238
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files searching

I have a list of files in directory and i should write a script if any of these files contains words given in a text file test.txt. the words can be case ignored and word should match. The output should be the name of the directory in which the file is present followed by list of file names Eg:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinny
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching for files

Hi, I have the following command to list files beginning with a specific name and containing some text... find . -type f -name "dm_merge_domain_adm*" -exec grep -il "Error Message:" '{}' \; -print|xargs ls -ltr It works fine, but seems to list two of each file, when they only exist once...any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrislluff1976
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching across multiple files if pattern is available in all files searched

I have a list of pattern in a file, I want each of these pattern been searched from 4 files. I was wondering this can be done in SED / AWK. say my 4 files to be searched are > cat f1 abc/x(12) 1 abc/x 3 cde 2 zzz 3 fdf 4 > cat f2 fdf 4 cde 3 abc 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching files

i want to search a file bt it not happening i m using #!bin/bash read file if (-e "$file") then echo "asfsafafa" else echo "NO SUCH FILE" fi ....error ./VMC.sh: line 5: : command not found NO SUCH FILE ;;;;;;;;;; its giving correctly no such file found but whats is command not found. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: console
7 Replies
PCAP_COMPILE(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   PCAP_COMPILE(3)

NAME
pcap_compile - compile a filter expression SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_compile(pcap_t *p, struct bpf_program *fp, const char *str, int optimize, bpf_u_int32 netmask); DESCRIPTION
pcap_compile() is used to compile the string str into a filter program. See pcap-filter(7) for the syntax of that string. program is a pointer to a bpf_program struct and is filled in by pcap_compile(). optimize controls whether optimization on the resulting code is per- formed. netmask specifies the IPv4 netmask of the network on which packets are being captured; it is used only when checking for IPv4 broadcast addresses in the filter program. If the netmask of the network on which packets are being captured isn't known to the program, or if packets are being captured on the Linux "any" pseudo-interface that can capture on more than one network, a value of PCAP_NET- MASK_UNKNOWN can be supplied; tests for IPv4 broadcast addresses will fail to compile, but all other tests in the filter program will be OK. RETURN VALUE
pcap_compile() returns 0 on success and -1 on failure. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argu- ment to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), pcap_setfilter(3), pcap_freecode(3), pcap_geterr(3), pcap-filter(7) 1 December 2009 PCAP_COMPILE(3)