Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing a variables value from the called script to calling script using ksh Post 302207263 by rajarkumar on Thursday 19th of June 2008 01:11:58 PM
Old 06-19-2008
I understand the concept of writing it to standard output and assign the value to a variable. Can you show me some code sample to display $1 $2 of the variable ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to awk from ksh script

I'm trying to write a ksh script that uses awk, but I want to pass variables to awk. For example (not working): if ];then searchstr=$1 lsof -i | awk '{if($9~/SEARCHSTR/) print $2} SEARCHSTR=$searchstr' else echo "usage: $0 <search string>" fi I tried several options. Is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with ksh script that uses sqlplus, called from PHP

I have a ksh script that connects to sqlplus and dumps the query results into a file. The script works file when I run it from the command line, however, when I call it from PHP using system(), exec(), or shell_exec() commands, the script doesn't seem to run the query. It will create the text file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: j2owilson
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Calling script - Called script concept.

Hi Guys, I am new to unix and would like to know the basics about calling a shell script from another shell script. I would like to know if the calling script can finish in any way before the called script actually gets executed completely. I want this to happen :cool: For Example :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khedu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of variable which is read from command line in called script

Hi, I am calling a Perl script in my shell script. When Perl script is executed it asks for a answer to be entered by user from terminal. How can i pass that value from my shell script ?? I know I can change perl script to default the answer but i dont have access to do that so only option i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing stdin value into a script that is called from another script

I'm trying to automatically pass user input values into a script that is being called from another script, below is my current script and I added a comment next to the script where it asks user to enter input value. Thanks, mbak #!/bin/ksh echo " Adding disks for DB server then Enter YES... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird issue - *ksh script not recognized when being called

HI Team - I'm running into a weird issue when trying to call a .ksh script. In my shell script, I'm using the following command to call my environment file: cd /hypbin/test ./_env.ksh But it's saying not found. Permissions are set correctly, shebang is set but I'm unsure why it's not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
5 Replies
XSLT_PROCESS(3) 							 1							   XSLT_PROCESS(3)

xslt_process - Perform anXSLTtransformation

SYNOPSIS
mixed xslt_process (resource $xh, string $xmlcontainer, string $xslcontainer, [string $resultcontainer], [array $arguments], [array $parameters]) DESCRIPTION
The xslt_process(3) function is the crux of the XSLT extension. It allows you to perform an XSLT transformation using almost any type of input source - the containers. This is accomplished through the use of argument buffers -- a concept taken from the SablotronXSLT processor (currently the only XSLT processor this extension supports). The input containers default to a filename 'containing' the document to be processed. PARAMETERS
o $ xh -The XSLT processor link identifier, created with xslt_create(3). o $xmlcontainer - Path to XML file or placeholder for the XML argument. o $xslcontainer - Path to XSL file or placeholder for the XML argument. o $resultcontainer - The result container defaults to a filename for the transformed document. If the result container is not specified - i.e. NULL - than the result is returned. o $arguments - Instead of files as the XML and XSLT arguments to the xslt_process(3) function, you can specify "argument place holders" which are then substituted by values given in the $arguments array. o $parameters - An array for any top-level parameters that will be passed to the XSLT document. These parameters can then be accessed within your XSL files using the <xsl:param name="parameter_name"> instruction. The parameters must be UTF-8 encoded and their values will be interpreted as strings by the Sablotron processor. In other words - you cannot pass node-sets as parameters to the XSLT docu- ment. Containers can also be set via the $arguments array (see below). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. If the result container is not specified - i.e. NULL - than the result is returned. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 4.0.6 | | | | | | | This function no longer takes XML strings in | | | $xmlcontainer or $xslcontainer. Passing a string | | | containing XML to either of these parameters will | | | result in a segmentation fault in Sablotron ver- | | | sions up to and including version 0.95. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
The simplest type of transformation with the xslt_process(3) function is the transformation of an XML file with an XSLT file, placing the result in a third file containing the new XML (or HTML) document. Doing this with Sablotron is really quite easy... Example #1 Using the xslt_process(3) to transform an XML file and a XSL file to a new XML file <?php // Allocate a new XSLT processor $xh = xslt_create(); // Process the document if (xslt_process($xh, 'sample.xml', 'sample.xsl', 'result.xml')) { echo "SUCCESS, sample.xml was transformed by sample.xsl into result.xml"; echo ", result.xml has the following contents <br /> "; echo "<pre> "; readfile('result.xml'); echo "</pre> "; } else { echo "Sorry, sample.xml could not be transformed by sample.xsl into"; echo " result.xml the reason is that " . xslt_error($xh) . " and the "; echo "error code is " . xslt_errno($xh); } xslt_free($xh); ?> While this functionality is great, many times, especially in a web environment, you want to be able to print out your results directly. Therefore, if you omit the third argument to the xslt_process(3) function (or provide a NULL value for the argument), it will automatically return the value of the XSLT transformation, instead of writing it to a file... Example #2 Using the xslt_process(3) to transform an XML file and a XSL file to a variable containing the resulting XML data <?php // Allocate a new XSLT processor $xh = xslt_create(); // Process the document, returning the result into the $result variable $result = xslt_process($xh, 'sample.xml', 'sample.xsl'); if ($result) { echo "SUCCESS, sample.xml was transformed by sample.xsl into the $result"; echo " variable, the $result variable has the following contents <br /> "; echo "<pre> "; echo $result; echo "</pre> "; } else { echo "Sorry, sample.xml could not be transformed by sample.xsl into"; echo " the $result variable the reason is that " . xslt_error($xh); echo " and the error code is " . xslt_errno($xh); } xslt_free($xh); ?> The above two cases are the two simplest cases there are when it comes to XSLT transformation and I'd dare say that they are the most com- mon cases, however, sometimes you get your XML and XSLT code from external sources, such as a database or a socket. In these cases you'll have the XML and/or XSLT data in a variable -- and in production applications the overhead of dumping these to file may be too much. This is where XSLT's "argument" syntax, comes to the rescue. Instead of files as the XML and XSLT arguments to the xslt_process(3) function, you can specify "argument place holders" which are then substituted by values given in the arguments array (5th parameter to the xslt_process(3) function). The following is an example of processing XML and XSLT into a result variable without the use of files at all. Example #3 Using the xslt_process(3) to transform a variable containing XML data and a variable containing XSL data into a variable containing the resulting XML data <?php // $xml and $xsl contain the XML and XSL data $arguments = array( '/_xml' => $xml, '/_xsl' => $xsl ); // Allocate a new XSLT processor $xh = xslt_create(); // Process the document $result = xslt_process($xh, 'arg:/_xml', 'arg:/_xsl', NULL, $arguments); if ($result) { echo "SUCCESS, sample.xml was transformed by sample.xsl into the $result"; echo " variable, the $result variable has the following contents <br /> "; echo "<pre> "; echo $result; echo "</pre> "; } else { echo "Sorry, sample.xml could not be transformed by sample.xsl into"; echo " the $result variable the reason is that " . xslt_error($xh); echo " and the error code is " . xslt_errno($xh); } xslt_free($xh); ?> Example #4 Passing PHP variables to XSL files <?php // XML string $xml = '<?xml version="1.0"?> <para> change me </para>'; // XSL string $xsl = ' <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:output method="html" encoding="ISO-8859-1" indent="no" omit-xml-declaration="yes" media-type="text/html"/> <xsl:param name="myvar"/> <xsl:param name="mynode"/> <xsl:template match="/"> My PHP variable : <xsl:value-of select="$myvar"/><br /> My node set : <xsl:value-of select="$mynode"/> </xsl:template> </xsl:stylesheet>'; $xh = xslt_create(); // the second parameter will be interpreted as a string $parameters = array ( 'myvar' => 'test', 'mynode' => '<foo>bar</foo>' ); $arguments = array ( '/_xml' => $xml, '/_xsl' => $xsl ); echo xslt_process($xh, 'arg:/_xml', 'arg:/_xsl', NULL, $arguments, $parameters); ?> The above example will output: My PHP variable : test<br> My node set : &lt;foo&gt;bar&lt;/foo&gt; NOTES
Note Please note that file:// is needed in front of the path when using Windows. PHP Documentation Group XSLT_PROCESS(3)