Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing a variables value from the called script to calling script using ksh Post 302207226 by rajarkumar on Thursday 19th of June 2008 11:07:02 AM
Old 06-19-2008
Thanks for the reply.

Actually script1 runs first and calls script2. If you look at the code sample above.

Problem is returning only one variable from script2 at the same I should be able to check the script2 run status using $?.

You can have all the variable by executing the script2 inside script1 using . scriptname (inline). The problem is I've same set of variables in script1 and script2, both uses another file for sourcing the common variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to awk from ksh script

I'm trying to write a ksh script that uses awk, but I want to pass variables to awk. For example (not working): if ];then searchstr=$1 lsof -i | awk '{if($9~/SEARCHSTR/) print $2} SEARCHSTR=$searchstr' else echo "usage: $0 <search string>" fi I tried several options. Is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with ksh script that uses sqlplus, called from PHP

I have a ksh script that connects to sqlplus and dumps the query results into a file. The script works file when I run it from the command line, however, when I call it from PHP using system(), exec(), or shell_exec() commands, the script doesn't seem to run the query. It will create the text file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: j2owilson
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Calling script - Called script concept.

Hi Guys, I am new to unix and would like to know the basics about calling a shell script from another shell script. I would like to know if the calling script can finish in any way before the called script actually gets executed completely. I want this to happen :cool: For Example :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khedu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of variable which is read from command line in called script

Hi, I am calling a Perl script in my shell script. When Perl script is executed it asks for a answer to be entered by user from terminal. How can i pass that value from my shell script ?? I know I can change perl script to default the answer but i dont have access to do that so only option i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing stdin value into a script that is called from another script

I'm trying to automatically pass user input values into a script that is being called from another script, below is my current script and I added a comment next to the script where it asks user to enter input value. Thanks, mbak #!/bin/ksh echo " Adding disks for DB server then Enter YES... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird issue - *ksh script not recognized when being called

HI Team - I'm running into a weird issue when trying to call a .ksh script. In my shell script, I'm using the following command to call my environment file: cd /hypbin/test ./_env.ksh But it's saying not found. Permissions are set correctly, shebang is set but I'm unsure why it's not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
5 Replies
variable(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       variable(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
variable - create and initialize a namespace variable SYNOPSIS
variable ?name value...? name ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is normally used within a namespace eval command to create one or more variables within a namespace. Each variable name is initialized with value. The value for the last variable is optional. If a variable name does not exist, it is created. In this case, if value is specified, it is assigned to the newly created variable. If no value is specified, the new variable is left undefined. If the variable already exists, it is set to value if value is specified or left unchanged if no value is given. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the variable is created in the specified names- pace. If the variable is not defined, it will be visible to the namespace which command, but not to the info exists command. If the variable command is executed inside a Tcl procedure, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding namespace variables (and therefore these variables are listed by info vars.) In this way the variable command resembles the global command, although the global command only links to variables in the global namespace. If any values are given, they are used to modify the values of the associated namespace variables. If a namespace variable does not exist, it is created and optionally initialized. A name argument cannot reference an element within an array. Instead, name should reference the entire array, and the initialization value should be left off. After the variable has been declared, elements within the array can be set using ordinary set or array commands. EXAMPLES
Create a variable in a namespace: namespace eval foo { variable bar 12345 } Create an array in a namespace: namespace eval someNS { variable someAry array set someAry { someName someValue otherName otherValue } } Access variables in namespaces from a procedure: namespace eval foo { proc spong {} { # Variable in this namespace variable bar puts "bar is $bar" # Variable in another namespace variable ::someNS::someAry parray someAry } } SEE ALSO
global(n), namespace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl 8.0 variable(n)