Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers determine if user is truly idle Post 302207180 by zaxxon on Thursday 19th of June 2008 09:54:13 AM
Old 06-19-2008
I think it's somewhat dangerous to kill idle sessions. Usually a system is not having problems with multiple accounts being logged in. Did you encounter a technical problem or is it just to keep the system "clean" from those evil idlers? Smilie Smilie In AIX 4.3.3 I remember there was some limit to parallel session set to 256 which could be just set to a higher value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Killing idle user processes

I'm looking for some help, please! I'm trying to kill any idle user processes over 40 Minutes. I have tried putting TMOUT=2400 within the users .profile However this does not seem to be working. We run aix 4.3.3 with ORACLE 7.3 The above works o.k. when the user is only within the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annette
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logoff idle user script

Will someone please share a script with me that will read in each line of the who -u output and if idle time is more than 50 min, execute a kill on the PID? This is what I have so far: who -u | cut -c 40-56 I am comfortable in the korn shell, but I can broaden my horizons if you've got... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Idle Time

Does anyone know how do you determine the user idle time of stdin in order to log the user out for being idle too long. I would like to write a c program to do this but I it is not clear upon how to determine idle time from keyboard input. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpaquette
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine the periodfor which user is workin

write a shell script that determines the period for which a specified user is workin on the system. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawz
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To find idle time of a user

Hi All I need to find the idle time of a user... but my OS seems to be not supporting finger $ finger -sh: finger: command not found I need to find the idle time and perform some other operations... So is there any other way i can find the idle time of a user... $ uname -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiteboard
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determine total memory used by some user/process

HI guys, :confused:i would like to know how can i determine the total/approx memory used by a single user. Example Top output is below =========================================================================== top - 20:00:50 up 24 days, 2:48, 2 users, load average: 0.43, 0.40, 0.37... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User idle time and kill

Hello.. I have many sleepy users on my Solaris box and need to kill them if they are idle for more than 45 minutes for example...I know who -u gives and the idle time but unable to make a awk line to get the condition perfect. Please help...:wall: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wimaxpole
9 Replies

10. SCO

User process information and idle times

My company uses a proprietary GUI to its business system (Strategix) which runs on Windows clients, whereas the back-end runs on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a server. We're moving to a new business system next year and the business is growing and we're running out of licences on Strategix and making... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmcardle
1 Replies
update(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 update(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
update - Process pending events and idle callbacks SYNOPSIS
update ?idletasks? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to bring the application "up to date" by entering the event loop repeatedly until all pending events (including idle callbacks) have been processed. If the idletasks keyword is specified as an argument to the command, then no new events or errors are processed; only idle callbacks are invoked. This causes operations that are normally deferred, such as display updates and window layout calculations, to be performed imme- diately. The update idletasks command is useful in scripts where changes have been made to the application's state and you want those changes to appear on the display immediately, rather than waiting for the script to complete. Most display updates are performed as idle callbacks, so update idletasks will cause them to run. However, there are some kinds of updates that only happen in response to events, such as those triggered by window size changes; these updates will not occur in update idletasks. The update command with no options is useful in scripts where you are performing a long-running computation but you still want the applica- tion to respond to events such as user interactions; if you occasionally call update then user input will be processed during the next call to update. EXAMPLE
Run computations for about a second and then finish: set x 1000 set done 0 after 1000 set done 1 while {!$done} { # A very silly example! set x [expr {log($x) ** 2.8}] # Test to see if our time-limit has been hit. This would # also give a chance for serving network sockets and, if # the Tk package is loaded, updating a user interface. update } SEE ALSO
after(n), interp(n) KEYWORDS
event, flush, handler, idle, update Tcl 7.5 update(n)