Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mksysb and Savevg woes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mksysb and Savevg woes Post 302207138 by zaxxon on Thursday 19th of June 2008 08:17:25 AM
Old 06-19-2008
There is an AIX subforum here - post AIX issues there next time please.

Some years back I had to get some special files under /dev back, which did not come back from the restore of the mksysb automatically. Here is what I did. The text and comments are in german, but I am too lazy to translate it now Smilie You will see by the commands, what I did; hope it helps Smilie

Code:
Clonen von Rechnern:
====================

Sichern:
--------

- rootvg mit mksysb sichern >>> wichtig: Create Map files?  YES <<<
- Andere VGs (im Bsp. datavg) wie folgt sichern:

savevg -imf /dev/rmt0 datavg

Restore:
--------

- mksysb zurücksichern
- Restore von /dev:

cd /tmp
   [tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind		     #Band an Anfang spulen
   [chdev -l rmt0 -a block_size=512	     #Blockgröße für Streamer auf 512bytes
   [restore -s2 -xqdvf /dev/rmt0.1 ./blksize  #Blockgröße des mksysb-Tapes ermitteln
   [cat ./blksize
   chdev -l rmt0 -a block_size=xxx	     #Blockgröße die in 'blksize' steht setzen
   tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind
   restore -s4 -xqdvf /dev/rmt0.1 ./dev	     #/dev in /tmp/dev zurück
   find . -print | cpio -dmpv /dev	     #Kopieren von ./dev nach /dev ohne zu über-
					     #schreiben!
					     #Allerdings sollte diese nachträgl. zurück-
					     #gesicherten Devices auf Ihre Rechte über-
					     #prüft werden. Habe das Flag zum Bewahren
					     #der ursprünglichen Rechte nich gefunden.

- Andere VGs zurücksichern (Bsp.: datavg):

exportvg datavg			     #Alte Files/Info der datavg löschen
   restvg -qf /dev/rmt0			     #Rücksichern der datavg ins System

- Anschließend den cfgmgr starten

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mksysb and Savevg woes

hi, i'm having a little trouble with an AIX 5.2 script that i have written and i was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on how to append a savevg backup to a mksysb tape, or more importantly where i'm going wrong? i've been trying to get this to work on and off for about a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredazfcuk
1 Replies

2. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

3. AIX

savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. AIX

smitty savevg: online cmd with all options to use?

In the several backups we do, we do a "smitty savevg" on about 15 different servers at the same time. Typing all the options on the savg screen is kind of long. Is it possible to invoke the "smitty savevg" backups as command line (aix 4.2) but using all the options we always enter ? It would... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. AIX

aix 4.2: finding out the return code of a savevg/mksysb ?

Am I right to assume that to check the return code of a savevg/mksysb on an AIX 4.2 is with the "$?" ? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. AIX

savevg - mksysb

Hello, I use commands savevg & mksysb to do backups on an AIX server. Frequently, I have a return code 3. I would know why, but after searches, I did'nt find. If somebody know ... Tell me. Thanks. emetra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emetra
2 Replies

7. AIX

savevg via nim, only vgdata

Other then creating a exclude 'all' file. Is there a way to just create a nim savevg resource that contains just the minimum info to restore a vg. The vg's dirs and files are being backed up. -pete (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: petepdx
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to estimate time of mksysb & savevg ?

Hi All, I need to plan a downtime and need know how much time is required to take mksysb & rootvg on LTO4. Following are vg informations... # lsvg -l rootvg rootvg: LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT hd5 boot 1 2 2 closed/syncd N/A hd6 paging 64 128 2 open/syncd N/A hd8... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sraj142
1 Replies

9. AIX

Savevg when users online !!

Hi All, I need to take the backup of non-rootvg using savevg utility. I would like to know, if I can take the backup without shutting down the application & database. Is it possible to take the savevg backup safely when users are working on the system ? Regards. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sraj142
1 Replies

10. AIX

Restore from savevg

I am trying to restore files from savevg. I used to smit restore and gave the file location. Savevg is taken to a mount point from San storage and not tape back up. Can I restore just a directory from savevg? ---------- Post updated at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:42 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
1 Replies
norewind_close_disabled(5)					File Formats Manual					norewind_close_disabled(5)

NAME
norewind_close_disabled - determine whether access to tape device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option is allowed VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
Note: this tunable was named in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. This tunable notifies the tape driver whether it should allow access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. When this tunable is on, the tape driver will fail any open on a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option (that is, or with a status of The tunable allows the safe sharing of tape devices in SAN tape backup solution configurations. The disabling of device special files without no-rewind-on-close in a SAN tape backup solution configuration prevents the accidental sending of a rewind command on close from HP-UX systems via standard tape commands like which would corrupt a backup in process. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on if the system is going to be used in a SAN tape backup solution configuration. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? The tape driver will fail any open to a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option with a status of This behavior prevents the usage of any tape device special file without the no-rewind-on-close option. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? This tunable should be turned off if the system is not part of a SAN tape backup solution configuration or the system utilizes will not function unless it has access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? A rewind may be issued accidentally from this system on close, possibly corrupting a backup being issued from another system on the SAN. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. EXAMPLES
Query the current value of the tunable: Set the value of the tunable to To save the value of the tunable across reboots: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
scsi_tape(7), scsimgr_estape(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters norewind_close_disabled(5)