Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add multiple colum using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add multiple colum using awk Post 302207132 by era on Thursday 19th of June 2008 07:59:43 AM
Old 06-19-2008
You need to specify the field separator -F, -- sorry for missing that. Maybe you also want s=IFS rather than s=OFS (or maybe not).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to convert text files with recurring headings to rows and colum

I have many text file reports generated by a Information Assurance tool that I need to get into a .CSV format or Excel tab delimited format. I want to use sed or awk to grab all the information in the sample text file below and create column headings:Risk ID, Risk Level, Category, Description, How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bjoeboo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find lines have 2nd colum value greater than 40

i have a file a.txt 12345,20 34567,10 23123,50 123456,45 how to find lines which hav 2nd entry greater than 40 o/p 23123,50 123456,45 pls help to get o/p (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: devesh123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete points in a certain colum

Dear Unix users, I have a (I think simple) question; I have a file (out.dat) like below, the file contains some line which include 'LOS' string. . LOS 46.5360 91.0220 200708.2515.4900. 5400 64 1100010 . . I would like to delete the points in 4th... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgunduz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

joining files with different rows and colum

Hi all, I have two files: file one (9 rows, 3 columns): A 1 x1 B 2 f1 C 3 f3 D 4 u5 E 5 l9 F 6 h6 G 7 g4 H 8 r4 I 9 s2 file two (4 rows, 1 column): A B (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjas
2 Replies

5. Linux

Doubt on vmstat swpd colum

Dear Gurus, When i ran vmstat, i am getting swpd value,but si, and so beneath the swap is o, My doubt what is the difference between these values,i,e swpd and si and so OS is OEL 5.5 procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- -----cpu------ r b swpd free buff cache... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave234
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting based on a particular colum

Hi, I want a flat file(pipe delimited) to be sorted based on 2nd column only. Below is input file to be sorted. AVERS|K50034|A|Y|N|N|Y|Y|Y|||N|N AVERS|K50035|A|Y|N|N|Y|Y|Y|||N|N... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nikhath
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script by row colum

Hi All, how can output file1 to file2 by colum, e.g. $cat file1 1 2 3 $cat file2 aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii then i need new file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aav1307
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Colum number where value is >0

Hi All I want to findout coloum number where value is >0 from below string Can we do using awk or any command ? Thanks in advance ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract multiple values from file and add two additional fields

In the attached file I am trying to use awk to extract multiple values and create the tab-delimited desired output. In the output R_Index is a the sequential # and Pre_Enrichment is defaulted to .. I can extract from the values to the side of the keywords, but most are above and I can not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vlookup using awk without exact match for two colum input

Source file 1 335 R1-snapfound 0098F RDFType:R1 R2-Dev R2-snapfound ,010C0 RemoteSymmetrixID:345 335 R1-snapfound 00990 RDFType:R1 R2-Dev R2-snapfound ,010C1 RemoteSymmetrixID:345 335 R1-snapfound 009C0 RDFType:R1 R2-Dev R2-snapfound ,009C1 RemoteSymmetrixID:345 335 R1-snapfound 009C1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)