Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mksysb and Savevg woes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mksysb and Savevg woes Post 302207124 by boredazfcuk on Thursday 19th of June 2008 07:30:41 AM
Old 06-19-2008
Mksysb and Savevg woes

hi,

i'm having a little trouble with an AIX 5.2 script that i have written and i was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on how to append a savevg backup to a mksysb tape, or more importantly where i'm going wrong? i've been trying to get this to work for about a month with no joy now.

here's a cut down version of my script:
Code:
MKSYSBLOG=/usr/tmp/mksysb.log
VGLOG=/usr/tmp/vg.log
MKSYSBVLOG=/usr/tmp/mksysbv.log
VGVLOG=/usr/tmp/vgv.log

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind
/usr/bin/mksysb -ipX /dev/rmt0.1 2>$MKSYSBLOG
/usr/bin/savevg -ipXf /dev/rmt0 DEV_VG 2>$VGLOG
/usr/sbin/restore -s3 -Tqvf /dev/rmt0.1 2>$MKSYSBVLOG
/usr/sbin/restore -s1 -Tqvf /dev/rmt0.1 2>$VGVLOG
tctl -f /dev/rmt0 rewind

the problem that i am having is that if i run this script i get the following error from the restore commands:

restore: 0511-160 Cannot read the backup media
/dev/rmt0.1: There is an input or output error

with the tape rewound, if i run a restore -Tvqf /dev/rmt0 it lists the files in DEV_VG. this made me think that the tape was rewinding before running the savevg command for some reason.

if i change the backups to use the rmt0 device and manually do all my rewinding and fast forwarding with tctl i get the same errors as the restore command gives me.

if i run a /usr/bin/mksysb -ipX /dev/rmt0 then a restore -Tvqf /dev/rmt0 it lists the files in the rootvg. if i then run a tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 1 i then receive the following error:

restore: 0511-262 Read an unexpected end of file.

from what i've read a mksysb should put the files on the 3rd segment of the backup, is this correct? my mksysb doesn't seem to follow the documented standard.

thanks in advance.

james.

edit: sorry for the double post. must have been caused by a timeout while editing my OP.

Last edited by boredazfcuk; 06-19-2008 at 08:45 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mksysb and Savevg woes

hi, i'm having a little trouble with an AIX 5.2 script that i have written and i was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on how to append a savevg backup to a mksysb tape, or more importantly where i'm going wrong? i've been trying to get this to work on and off for about a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredazfcuk
1 Replies

2. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

3. AIX

savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. AIX

smitty savevg: online cmd with all options to use?

In the several backups we do, we do a "smitty savevg" on about 15 different servers at the same time. Typing all the options on the savg screen is kind of long. Is it possible to invoke the "smitty savevg" backups as command line (aix 4.2) but using all the options we always enter ? It would... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. AIX

aix 4.2: finding out the return code of a savevg/mksysb ?

Am I right to assume that to check the return code of a savevg/mksysb on an AIX 4.2 is with the "$?" ? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. AIX

savevg - mksysb

Hello, I use commands savevg & mksysb to do backups on an AIX server. Frequently, I have a return code 3. I would know why, but after searches, I did'nt find. If somebody know ... Tell me. Thanks. emetra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emetra
2 Replies

7. AIX

savevg via nim, only vgdata

Other then creating a exclude 'all' file. Is there a way to just create a nim savevg resource that contains just the minimum info to restore a vg. The vg's dirs and files are being backed up. -pete (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: petepdx
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to estimate time of mksysb & savevg ?

Hi All, I need to plan a downtime and need know how much time is required to take mksysb & rootvg on LTO4. Following are vg informations... # lsvg -l rootvg rootvg: LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT hd5 boot 1 2 2 closed/syncd N/A hd6 paging 64 128 2 open/syncd N/A hd8... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sraj142
1 Replies

9. AIX

Savevg when users online !!

Hi All, I need to take the backup of non-rootvg using savevg utility. I would like to know, if I can take the backup without shutting down the application & database. Is it possible to take the savevg backup safely when users are working on the system ? Regards. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sraj142
1 Replies

10. AIX

Restore from savevg

I am trying to restore files from savevg. I used to smit restore and gave the file location. Savevg is taken to a mount point from San storage and not tape back up. Can I restore just a directory from savevg? ---------- Post updated at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:42 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
1 Replies
MT(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MT(1)

NAME
mt - control magnetic tape drive operation SYNOPSIS
mt [-V] [-f device] [--file=device] [--rsh-command=command] [--version] operation [count] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of mt. mt performs the given operation, which must be one of the tape operations listed below, on a tape drive. The default tape device to operate on is taken from the file /usr/include/sys/mtio.h when mt is compiled. It can be overridden by giving a device file name in the environment variable TAPE or by a command line option (see below), which also overrides the environment variable. The device must be either a character special file or a remote tape drive. To use a tape drive on another machine as the archive, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). The available operations are listed below. Unique abbreviations are accepted. Not all operations are available on all systems, or work on all types of tape drives. Some operations optionally take a repeat count, which can be given after the operation name and defaults to 1. eof, weof Write count EOF marks at current position. fsf Forward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. bsf Backward space count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the next file. fsr Forward space count records. bsr Backward space count records. bsfm Backward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. fsfm Forward space count file marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-the-tape side of the file mark. asf Absolute space to file number count. Equivalent to rewind followed by fsf count. seek Seek to block number count. eom Space to the end of the recorded media on the tape (for appending files onto tapes). rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind the tape and, if applicable, unload the tape. status Print status information about the tape unit. retension Rewind the tape, then wind it to the end of the reel, then rewind it again. erase Erase the tape. mt exits with a status of 0 if the operation succeeded, 1 if the operation or device name given was invalid, or 2 if the operation failed. OPTIONS -f, --file=device Use device as the file name of the tape drive to operate on. To use a tape drive on another machine, use a filename that starts with `HOSTNAME:'. The hostname can be preceded by a username and an `@' to access the remote tape drive as that user, if you have permission to do so (typically an entry in that user's `~/.rhosts' file). --rsh-command=command Notifies mt that it should use command to communicate with remote devices instead of /usr/bin/ssh or /usr/bin/rsh. -V, --version Print the version number of mt. REPORTING BUGS
Report cpio bugs to bug-cpio@gnu.org GNU cpio home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cpio translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> MT(1)