Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Why are so many dirs used in solaris hierarchy? Post 302207029 by wrapster on Thursday 19th of June 2008 03:09:05 AM
Old 06-19-2008
Why are so many dirs used in solaris hierarchy?

Hi all,

I would like to know the difference between the different dir structures present in solaris!!!

Meaning what does /usr contain, /etc ,/opt/ ,so on...
I know what /usr and /etc are used for.
But why are /opt /bin /sbin /var and many more that i have missed

I would appreciate if anyone can direct me to a link where i can have extensive study of all these dirs.

thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to archive certain folders in a hierarchy

I'm new to shell scripting and I'm having a tough time figuring out how to script something. Can anyone help? Here is my setup and what I want to do: A directory contains a list of projects by year (2000, 2001, etc) and customers (01-001) all of which have the same internal directory setup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: medazinol
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp without maintaining the soucre directory tree hierarchy

Hi guys. I'm willing to copy a specific file system hierarchy, but I would not like to maintain the directory tree organization. For example: Let's say /a/b/c is the fs I'm wanting to copy to my destination, and that c is a directory with 30 files, 10 on /a/b/c , 10 on a/b/c/c1 and 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

Hi, Please have a look this: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy.pdf I think this can be very useful for a beginner/intermediate level user to understand the filesystem hierarchy and as well as it can be used as a reference to various linux commands and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace in multiple files in directory hierarchy

Hello all I need to search and replace in multiple files that are in directory hierarchy Im using the : find . -name "*.dsp" -print | xargs grep -n -o Test.lib" , I like to be able to replace every instance of Test.lib with empty space . how can I write one liner that does this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling hierarchy

If a.sh calls b.sh, how can we know inside b.sh that it was called by a.sh? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitu_inmage
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

**HELP** how to do a listing of dirs and all sub dirs only

I am trying to get a listing of ALL directories only under /export (as an example). I can get all the dirs directly under /export but I need any sub dirs under those dirs. I've looked (here and google) but can not find anything that works (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbraml
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Building hierarchy with the list

Hi All, Sorry for more question today. I am having a text file . Like below 704925680_TOTAL->MANUAL->TT IOR GSB 775116444_TOTAL->POO TO->TT -572275295_TOTAL->MANUAL->MTO -611408278_TOTAL->PRIE LEL 456690129_TOTAL->BTT TOO 475919266_TOTAL->MANUAL->COM -172680236_TOTAL->BTT TOO->MTO... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
15 Replies

8. Programming

DB2 Query to pick hierarchy values

Dear Team I am using DB2 v9 . I have a condition to check roles based on hierarchies like below example. 1.Ramesh has Roles as "Manager" and "Interviewer" 2.KITS has Roles as "Interviewer" 3.ANAND has Roles as "Manager" and "Interviewer" select * FROM TESTING NAME ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
6 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)