Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unexpected Results (at least I did not expect them) Post 302206856 by era on Wednesday 18th of June 2008 02:04:51 PM
Old 06-18-2008
Probably my sed script is not completely correct, in the general case or for your particular version of sed. Glad you sorted it out, anyway.

Oh, and you should probably use read -r when reading the regex from the sed script!

Also, try adding double quotes around the backticks.

Just out of curiosity, do you see what I see?

Code:
vnix$ echo 12.34.56.78 '^ick\\y.poo$' | sed -e 's/[][\\.*$^]/\\&/g'
12\.34\.56\.78 \^ick\\\\y\.poo\$

I don't think changing shells would change anything significantly, except if you switch to a shell which doesn't have support for the -r option to read. Maybe you have the line command instead; if so, try that.

For what it's worth, my cats are the cat(1) kind, not the felines (-:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Iterating a hash through a foreach loop - unexpected results

i've reworked some code from an earlier post, and it isn't working as expected i've simplified it to try and find the problem. i spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong, eventually thinking there was a bug in perl or a problem with my computer. but, i've tried it on 3 machines with the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumechanix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unexpected Results

Hello, When I run this script, here's what I get: Searching ... found 1111 2222 3333 ..... 7777 ..... 8888 9999 in 95_test Search completed. I expected only to see what number was found in the file, not including the ones not found. Thanks for your help! #!/bin/sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSims
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

expect telnet unexpected delays

I must automatically monitor and manage a large number of boxes on our network. I have been using perl/Net::Telnet and expect/telnet and also perl/ssh and expect/ssh to reach the command line of the remote boxes. Scripts are working but slow. (Yes, I do use SNMP also but many boxes do not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kp2a
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results when triggered from cron

Following script gives different results when triggered from Cron compared to when triggered from command line. It is not able to assign values to some variables when triggered from cron. Can any one help? Its a very simple script Script - #! /bin/ksh sFile=$1 sEnv=$2 sWaitFile=$3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumeet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command gave unexpected results

Hi, I recently executed a find command that caused unexpected permission changes and we had to do a full system restore. Can someone please explain what this command would do? find /staging/admin/scr * -exec chmod 755 '{}' + It caused file permissions inside / to be modified strangely. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poornima
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results with lists in GNU sed

I have been living with this problem with GNU sed v4.1.4 for a long time, but now I really need to figure it out. When using a list in either an address or a search, the expression is matching lower and upper-case letters. works as it should. For example, if I run sed -nr "// p"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nctrader
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Unexpected results, missing first search item

I created 3 files with the identical data as follows dial-peer voice 9999 pots trunkgroup CO list outgoing Local translation-profile outgoing LOCAL-7-DIGITS-NO-PREPEND-97 preference 2 shutdown destination-pattern 9......$ forward-digits 7 dial-peer voice 10000 pots ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comm giving unexpected results

Hi I am comparing two files with comm -13 < (sort acc11.txt) < (sort acc12.txt) > output.txt purpose: Get non matching records which are in acc12 but not in acc11... TI am getting WRONG output. Is there any constraints with record length with comm? The above files are the two consective ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seeing unexpected results when i run through cronjob

Hi I'm having hard time here with below script. If i run script manually i see expected results but, if i keep this script in cron job i'm getting unexpected results. Unexpected results means even though condition is true,cronjob returning output of else condition. This script and cronjob... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
2 Replies
RUN-PARTS(8)                                                  System Manager's Manual                                                 RUN-PARTS(8)

NAME
run-parts - run scripts or programs in a directory SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--test] [--verbose] [--report] [--lsbsysinit] [--regex=RE] [--umask=umask] [--arg=argument] [--exit-on-error] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--list] [--reverse] [--] DIRECTORY run-parts -V DESCRIPTION
run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints described below, found in directory directory. Other files and directo- ries are silently ignored. If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case let- ters, ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens. If the --lsbsysinit option is given, then the names must not end in .dpkg-old or .dpkg-dist or .dpkg-new or .dpkg-tmp, and must belong to one or more of the following namespaces: the LANANA-assigned namespace (^[a-z0-9]+$); the LSB hierarchical and reserved namespaces (^_?([a-z0-9_.]+-)+[a-z0-9]+$); and the Debian cron script namespace (^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+$). If the --regex option is given, the names must match the custom extended regular expression specified as that option's argument. Files are run in the lexical sort order (according to the C/POSIX locale character collation rules) of their names unless the --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the opposite order. OPTIONS
--test print the names of the scripts which would be run, but don't actually run them. --list print the names of the all matching files (not limited to executables), but don't actually run them. This option cannot be used with --test. -v, --verbose print the name of each script to stderr before running. --report similar to --verbose, but only prints the name of scripts which produce output. The script's name is printed to whichever of stdout or stderr the script first produces output on. --reverse reverse the scripts' execution order. --exit-on-error exit as soon as a script returns with a non-zero exit code. --lsbsysinit use LSB namespaces instead of classical behavior. --new-session run each script in a separate process session. If you use this option, killing run-parts will not kill the currently running script, it will run until completion. --regex=RE validate filenames against custom extended regular expression RE. See the EXAMPLES section for an example. -u, --umask=umask sets the umask to umask before running the scripts. umask should be specified in octal. By default the umask is set to 022. -a, --arg=argument pass argument to the scripts. Use --arg once for each argument you want passed. -- specifies that this is the end of the options. Any filename after -- will be not be interpreted as an option even if it starts with a hyphen. -h, --help display usage information and exit. -V, --version display version and copyright and exit. EXAMPLES
Print the names of all files in /etc that start with `p' and end with `d': run-parts --list --regex '^p.*d$' /etc COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1994 Ian Jackson. Copyright (C) 1996 Jeff Noxon. Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 Guy Maor Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Clint Adams run-parts is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is no warranty. Debian 27 Jun 2012 RUN-PARTS(8)