Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to read an Xml record contained in a file--urgent Post 302206482 by aixjadoo on Wednesday 18th of June 2008 12:50:28 AM
Old 06-18-2008
How to read an Xml record contained in a file--urgent

Hi
I have an xml file which has multiple xml records..
I don't know how to read those records and pipe them to another shell command

the file is like

<abc>z<def>y<ghi>x........</ghi></def></abc> (1st record)
<jkl>z<mno>y<pqr>x........</pqr></mno></jkl> (2nd record)

Each record end with a "newline" character i belive but i am not able to see the newline character..
I used cat -vte command to view it

I am planning to grep the record by means of a common string
say "Z" found in all the records..

take the count of the number of records and then send each record by reading one at a time..and then pipe it to say a "sed" command...

Is there a mechanism...can somebody help out..

Thanks in advance!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicated xml record in a file under unix

Hi, If i have a file with xml format, i would like to remove duplicated records and save to a new file. Is it possible...to write script to do it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent!!!Read directory from a file

I have a receive script file which had lots of direcorties to process,but now,I don't want to hardcode them,I need input the directory name in a Property.txt file,then write shell code to read the directory name from Property.txt to the script file so I can get flexible on it.But when I ran the sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read record from file

Hi all I have file f1 like this: Set AM/PM indicator to PM started|14155| Generate Error Re|7| Projected Cash Ba|741| Roll System Date |4| Projected Cash Balances started|2| Process Mark To Market started|13429| Process paydowns started|14189| Process Fixed Inc|439| Process Mark To... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read record by record from a file in unix

Hi guys, i have a big file with the following format.This includes header(H),detail(D) and trailer(T) information in the file.My problem is i have to search for the character "6h" at 14 th and 15 th position in all the records .if it is there i have to write all those records into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raoscb
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script failing to read large Xml record-urgent critical help

Hi All, I have shell script running on AIX 5.3 box. It has 7 to 8 "sed" commands piped(|) together. It has a an Xml file as its input which has many records internally. There are certain record which which have more than hundered tags.The script is taking a huge amount of time more than 1.5 hrs... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the record from a text file

Hi I want to read one row record from a text file. For eg: I have Sample.txt file with one row of record like 123456768 I want to get the above value from the file and assign it to a variable in my script. Please guide me how to proceed. Thanks, Soll (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sollins
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to read a file and parse each record

Hi Guys, I am new to unix scripting and I am tasked to parse through a CSV file delimited by #. Sample: sample.csv H#A#B#C D#A#B#C T#A#B#C H = Header D = Detail Record T = Tail What I need is to read the file and parse through it to get the columns. I have no idea on how... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3vilwyatt
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a record in a xml file using shell scripting

find pattern, delete line with pattern and 3 lines above and 8 lines below the pattern. The pattern is "isup". The entire record with starting tag <record> and ending tag </record> containing the pattern is to be deleted and the rest to be retained. <record> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdesstp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract timestamp from first record in xml file and it checks if not it will replace first record

I have test.xml <emp><id>101</id><name>AAA</name><date>06/06/14 1811</date></emp> <Join><id>101</id><city>london</city><date>06/06/14 2011</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>new york</city><date>06/06/14 1811</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>sydney</city><date>06/06/14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsraju
2 Replies
OTFDUMP(1)							   User Commands							OTFDUMP(1)

NAME
otfdump - otfdump DESCRIPTION
otfdump - convert otf traces or parts of it into a human readable, long version Options: -h, --help show this help message -V show OTF version -f <n> set max number of filehandles available (default: 50) -o <file> output file if the ouput file is unspecified the stdout will be used --num <a> <b> output only records no. [a,b] --time <a> <b> output only records with time stamp in [a,b] --nodef omit definition records --noevent omit event records --nostat omit statistic records --nosnap omit snapshot records --nomarker omit marker records --nokeyvalue omit key-value pairs --fullkeyvalue show key-value pairs including the contents of byte-arrays --procs <a> show only processes <a> <a> is a space-seperated list of process-tokens --records <a> show only records <a> <a> is a space-seperated list of record-type-numbers record-type-numbers can be found in OTF_Definitions.h (OTF_*_RECORD) -s, --silent do not display anything except the time otfdump needed to read the tracefile otfdump 1.10.2 May 2012 OTFDUMP(1)