Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cronjobs stopped working
Operating Systems Linux Cronjobs stopped working Post 302206027 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 16th of June 2008 11:39:01 PM
Old 06-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisla.yogender
I am user of a Linux machine and I have approximatly 15 cronjobs scheduled in my crontab. Yesterday my administrator made LDAP active on my userid and all the things are doing fine after that. But all cronjobs for my user id stored in my crontab have stopped working after that.
I'd suggest checking your cron log to find the definitive answer but off the top of my head, this seems like an audit trail problem. It could be that you are authenticating via ldap and somehow breaking cron's ability to be sure who you are.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash has stopped working

Hi I'm writing a script and I've put #!/bin/bash as the first line so that I can just type my scripts name 'whodate' at PS1 instead of ./whodate. This has suddenly stopped working for me. It used to be the case that I could start a script with #!/bin/bash and it would work, but for this script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What can make Cronjobs stop working??

Up until two days ago they were working junt fine, then stoped working with out me doing anything. Yesterday they started working again...and then stoped working, at about the same time of day that they stoped working the day before. service crond restart did nothing. All SSH signs point to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nintendo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjobs stopped working

Hello people, I had these cronjobs scheduled in some Unix boxes which were running fine until yesterday.But then the password was changed for that user id and then the jobs stopped working. As far as i know cron jobs run from super user. I am completely lost over here now. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Wireless stopped working- Fedora 12

I installed F12 around the time it was released and it picked up my wireless card and worked like a charm.....Suddenly last week everything stopped working and I receive what appears to be a driver error when wlan0 tries to load. Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woodson2
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 LAN connection stopped working...

Well this is weird. I restarted my dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.10 from ubuntu to windows. Everything was working fine and windows is always connecting properly to my lan. After restarting back into Ubuntu, all of a sudden I can't connect to my network. It looks as if its trying to connect through... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script stopped working

Hi, I have the following segment of a script which is supposed to prompt a user for password and then capture the password entered by the user. The function is called in by another script and used to work without issue, the problem is that recently the script is not waiting for the user to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belalr
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ssh stopped working AIX

I Was able to ssh into the AIX box. now i cannot When I run the command to start it it comes back that is was started, but still does not work. Here is a shot i what i see # server:/> lslpp -l | grep ssh openssh.base.client 4.3.0.5201 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Commands ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierfek
2 Replies

8. AIX

Printer stopped working

I have a serial printer connected to a 16 port ran. All of a sudden my printer stopped working and not sure how to get it back. Can anyone help pint me in the write direction? lsdev -Cc printer gives me the following. lp0 Defined 0A-08-11-00 Other serial printer lp1 Defined 0A-08-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gmanx
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Mailx stopped working

after a new patch set on the 14th. I noticed that mailx stopped working, as far a I can tell that is the only thing that changed. solaris 10 OS it seems everything is the same, sendmail seems to be running root@server # ps -ef | grep -i sendmail smmsp 687 1 0 10:42:25 ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: goya
0 Replies
cron(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)