Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ? Post 302205936 by Franklin52 on Monday 16th of June 2008 02:15:59 PM
Old 06-16-2008
Code:
awk 'END{print NR-1}' file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Line Count

Hi, Came across a weird problem today. I was just trying to write this small script which would read the number of lines in a file. Depending on the count some further processing would be done. I used wc -l in order to get that done. But since it depends on the number of new line characters, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count per line in txt file

In a txt file called, eso.txt, I have: ...... 3 where process_status_flag = 70 and LISTENER_ID in (930.00, 931.00, 932.00, 933.00, 934.00) 4 group by LISTENER_ID 5 order by LISTENER_ID; LISTENER COUNT ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to take file line count in AIX

HI All, I am trying to take file line count in UNIX and AIX Unix command to take file line count-- working fine count=`wc -l /apps/hgford/sorted/E.testing.DLY|cut -f1 -d " "` 1355Same command when run in aix --having issue count=`wc -l /apps/hgford/sorted/E.testing.DLY|cut -f1 -d " "`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To take line count from a file

Hi guys, I am having a file which where i need to take line count based on searching a particular string from a list say list_file.txt which occurs in 2nd column of my main file and to take the line count which doesnot exist in list file say list_file.txt for eg: my main file looks like this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - line count of a file

Hi, I am quite new to perl scripting. I have a dat file (datFile) from which I am pulling only first column and saving the output to a new file (f). From that file (f) I am removing blank lines and saving it to new file (datFile1). I am able to get the count of $f file in variable $cnt. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)