Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ? Post 302205928 by smc3 on Monday 16th of June 2008 02:00:44 PM
Old 06-16-2008
Get the line count from 2nd line of the file ?

Hi,

I want to get the line count of the file from the 2nd line of the file ? The first line is header so want to skip that.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Line Count

Hi, Came across a weird problem today. I was just trying to write this small script which would read the number of lines in a file. Depending on the count some further processing would be done. I used wc -l in order to get that done. But since it depends on the number of new line characters, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count per line in txt file

In a txt file called, eso.txt, I have: ...... 3 where process_status_flag = 70 and LISTENER_ID in (930.00, 931.00, 932.00, 933.00, 934.00) 4 group by LISTENER_ID 5 order by LISTENER_ID; LISTENER COUNT ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to take file line count in AIX

HI All, I am trying to take file line count in UNIX and AIX Unix command to take file line count-- working fine count=`wc -l /apps/hgford/sorted/E.testing.DLY|cut -f1 -d " "` 1355Same command when run in aix --having issue count=`wc -l /apps/hgford/sorted/E.testing.DLY|cut -f1 -d " "`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To take line count from a file

Hi guys, I am having a file which where i need to take line count based on searching a particular string from a list say list_file.txt which occurs in 2nd column of my main file and to take the line count which doesnot exist in list file say list_file.txt for eg: my main file looks like this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - line count of a file

Hi, I am quite new to perl scripting. I have a dat file (datFile) from which I am pulling only first column and saving the output to a new file (f). From that file (f) I am removing blank lines and saving it to new file (datFile1). I am able to get the count of $f file in variable $cnt. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters begin The word begin is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of end on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1), uudecode(1), uusend(1), uucp(1), mail(1) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in BSD 4.0 . UUENCODE(5)