Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reading ,writing,appending ,manipulating a file. Post 302205589 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 15th of June 2008 10:32:56 PM
Old 06-15-2008
We would be glad to help you.

Could you please post us what you had tried so far ? Smilie

One more thing, while posting could you please take some extra seconds to make sure there are no spelling mistakes ( spell check is already provided ) !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Reading and Manipulating captured packets (pflog file)

Hey, I currently have a set of captured sessions thru ethereal, saved in pflog files, basically its a tcpdump, which i need to go thru and sort the applications/protocols in order of the times they were used. I also need to change the headers of the packets, basically the source and destination... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PenguinDevil
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

3. Programming

Reading and Writing file on LAN

Hi gurus I am not a C programmer but I need to read and write files on a computer on LAN using IP address. Suppose on a computer that has an IP 192.168.0.2 Any help or code example. I did in JAVA using URL, but do not know how to do in ANSI-C. In java: ------- URL url = new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky001
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log File Writing and Reading

Hi all, I have the following shell script code which tries to sftp and writes the log into the log file. TestConnection () { echo 'Connection to ' $DESTUSERNAME@$DESTHOSTNAME $SETDEBUG if ]; then rm $SCRIPT ; fi touch $SCRIPT echo "cd" $REMOTEDIR >> $SCRIPT echo "quit" >>... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue on reading the file and appending date

Hi Am having issue on appending time stamp I know the exact file names in the directory like a.dat b.dat c.dat e.dat f.dat I want to read all these file names and append the timestamp to each files like a.dat.20090604,b.dat.20090604 and move to the different directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
3 Replies

6. Programming

I need help with file reading/writing in C

Hello everybody, I'm trying to code a program which makes the following: It sends an ARP request frame and when it gets the reply, extracts the IP address of source and writes it to a .txt file. This is gonna be done with many hosts (with a for() loop), so, the text file would look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from DataBase and Writing to a file

Hi All, Please help me in writing data to a file in one row. In database there is a column which contains large data which does not fit in the file in one row. The column contains list of paths. I want to write these paths to a file in one row. Please find the code below writes : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

9. Programming

unexpected values received when writing and reading from file

In the code below i try to write and read from a file, but i get unexpected results, like after writing i cannot open the file, and when reading the file the value entered earlier is not shown bool creat_fragments(int nFragment) { int fd, rand_value; char frag_path, buf; for(int... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and writing in same file

Hi All, Here is my requirement. I am grepping through the log files and cutting some fields from the file to generate a csv file. Now I have to check if 2nd field is having some fixed value then with the help of 4th field I have to look in same log and run another grep command to retrieve the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
11 Replies
spell(1)						      General Commands Manual							  spell(1)

Name
       spell, spellin, spellout - check text for spelling errors

Syntax
       spell [-v] [-b] [-x] [-d hlist] [+local-file] [-s hstop] [-h spellhist] [file...]

spellin [list]

spellout [-d] list

Description
       The command collects words from the named documents, and looks them up in a spelling list.  Words that are not on the spelling list and are
       not derivable from words on the list (by applying certain inflections, prefixes or suffixes) are printed on the	standard  output.   If	no
       files are specified, words are collected from the standard input.

The command ignores most and constructions.

Two  routines help maintain the hash lists used by Both expect a set of words, one per line, from the standard input.  The command combines
       the words from the standard input and the preexisting list file and places a new list on the standard output.  If no list  file	is  speci-
       fied,  a  new  list  is generated.  The command looks up each word from the standard input and prints on the standard output those that are
       missing from (or present on, with option -d) the hashed list file.  For example, to verify that hookey is not on the default spelling list,
       add it to your own private list, and then use it with
       echo  hookey  |	spellout  /usr/dict/hlista
       echo  hookey  |	spellin  /usr/dict/hlista  >  myhlist
       spell  -d  myhlist <filename>

Options
       -v	      Displays words not found in spelling list with all plausible derivations from spelling list.

-b	      Checks  data  according  to British spelling.  Besides preferring centre, colour, speciality, travelled, this option insists
		      upon -ise instead of -ize in words like standardise.

-x	      Precedes each word with an equal sign (=) and displays all plausible derivations.

-d hlist       Specifies the file used for the spelling list.

-h spellhist   Specifies the file used as the history file.

-s hstop       Specifies the file used for the stop list.

+local-file    Removes words found in local-file from the output of the command.  The argument local-file is the name of a file provided by
		      the  user  that contains a sorted list of words, one per line.  With this option, the user can specify a list of words for a
		      particular job that are spelled correctly.

The auxiliary files used for the spelling list, stop list, and history file may be specified by arguments following  the  -d,  -s,  and	-h
       options.   The  default files are indicated below.  Copies of all output may be accumulated in the history file.  The stop list filters out
       misspellings (for example, thier=thy-y+ier) that would otherwise pass.

Restrictions
       The coverage of the spelling list is uneven; new installations will probably wish to monitor the output for several months to gather  local
       additions.

The command works only with ASCII text files.

Files
       /usr/dict/hlist[ab] hashed spelling lists, American &			 British, default for -d
       /usr/dict/hstop	   hashed stop list, default for -s
       /dev/null	   history file, default for -h
       /tmp/spell.$$*	   temporary files
       /usr/lib/spell

See Also
       deroff(1), sed(1), sort(1), tee(1)

spell(1)