Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove the text (*@yahoo.com, hotmail.com) from one file Post 302205431 by ripat on Sunday 15th of June 2008 03:04:55 AM
Old 06-15-2008
input-file:
Code:
abc@test.com: abc@hotmail.com,abc@yahoo.com
xyz@test.com: xyz@hotmail.com
qwer@test.com: qwer@gmail.com,qwer@aol.com,qwer@test2.com
ghjk@test.com: ghjk@test2.com
abcd@xyz.com: abcd@hjkl.com,abcd@gmail.com,bcd@mil.com

standard sed:
Code:
$ sed 's/\([ ,]\)[^@]\+@\(gmail\|yahoo\|hotmail\)\.com,\?/\1/g' input-file

sed with extended regex option (easier to read)
Code:
sed -r 's/([ ,])[^@]+@(gmail|yahoo|hotmail)\.com,?/\1/g' input-file

Output:
Code:
abc@test.com: abc@yahoo.com
xyz@test.com: 
qwer@test.com: qwer@aol.com,qwer@test2.com
ghjk@test.com: ghjk@test2.com
abcd@xyz.com: abcd@hjkl.com,bcd@mil.com

Note: I removed the space after the comma because sometimes there was one sometimes not. Not consistent.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send mail to any user (@hotmail,@yahoo etc) from Solaris

Hi All, I am new to unix. I want to know what are the steps to do in order to configure a unix server (Solaris 8) to send mails to the outside world. I also want to send attachments in the mail. Thanks in advance Zing (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specified text from file

I am trying to write a script that kills old sessions, I've posted here over the past few days and the script is just about perfect except I want to be given the option to exclude specified PIDs from being killed. this is the entire script: if then rm /tmp/idlepids fi if then rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove and replace text in a file

Hello all, How would I go to a particular line in a file and remove certain text from it and replace with something that I want it to be there. like: file /etc/abc now look for line HOME="/export/xyz" in /etc/abc and then replace with HOME=/"export/xyz1" thanks in advance guys. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

able to remove \240 from a text file

I have a file originally provided from a SQL database on a Windows platform. I transfer the file via ftp in binary format, remove the ^M's from the end of all lines. I have attempted to use tr ( cat infile | tr -d '\240' ) and sed (cat infile | sed 's/\240//g' ) to remove the occurences of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbrowne
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove chunks of text from file

All, So, I have an ldif file that contains about 6500 users worth of data. Some users have a block of text I'd like to remove, while some don't. Example (block of text in question is the block starting with "authAuthority: ;Kerberosv5"): User with text block: # username, users,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: staze
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove filename is text file

Hello, I got files full path in a text file like that /main/k/kdelibs/kdelibs4c2a_3.5.10.dfsg.1-2ubuntu7_i386.deb /main/k/kdelibs-experimental/libknotificationitem-dev_4.3.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb /main/k/kdemultimedia/dragonplayer_4.3.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and remove in a text file

Need help whit a script where I have to input a name and then remove a line where that name is in a file file ex: 001op;Name;Location;date 002op;Name;Location;date and so on.... can anybody help me??? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nogame11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text from a file and remove

Hello Friends, I am stuck with the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. I have a file which has say 100 lines. On the second last line I have a line from which i want to remove certain characters.. e.g CAST(CAST( A as varchar(50)) || ',' || CAST(CAST( B as varchar(50)) || ',' ||... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)