Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a word after a matched pattern Post 302204825 by maxmave on Thursday 12th of June 2008 03:16:01 PM
Old 06-12-2008
Replacing a word after a matched pattern

Hello,

Actually i want to replace the word after a matched pattern.

For Ex:
lets say that i am reading a file line by line

while read line
do
echo $line
# i need to search whether a pattern exists in the file and replace the word after if the pattern exist.
# for example : $line=" this is a test line"
# $Pattern="is a"
echo "Enter a new value to replace the '"$Var1"' : "
read NwPat <&1
# i want to retrive $Var1="test" and replace it with a another pattern
# $NwPat which is provided as user input.
done < $INT_FILE

Any help would be useful.

Thanks

Rahul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a next line of a matched word?

Hi , If I match a word in a file, I want to pick the next line of that matched word. My file is a below format- The ntrag trace has auditError Line5005 contains transaction Ntrag data ------------ Here I wanted if I match a word auditError, I need to get the next line "Line5005... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muktesh
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing on the right of a pattern and looking for exact word?

how would you get SED to do the following, say you have the following lines in a text file: user=tigger some text some text some text some text some text some text user=ted some text some text some text some text some text some text user=thekingofrockandroll you want to find any line... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

start to print when a specified word is matched

Hello everybody, How can I start to print an output when a word hits the pattern space. for example: file.txt : first line second line third line fourth line ... cat file.txt > function "second" should print second line third line fourth line ... thanks for the replies now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oddant
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep word between matched pattern

would like to print word between matched patterns using sed for example : create INDEX SCOTT.OR_PK ON table_name(....) would like to print between SCOTT. and ON which is OR_PK Please help me out Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert certain field of matched pattern line above pattern

Hello every, I am stuck in a problem. I have file like this. I want to add the fifth field of the match pattern line above the lines starting with "# @D". The delimiter is "|" eg > # @D0.00016870300|0.05501020000|12876|12934|3||Qp||Pleistocene||"3 Qp Pleistocene"|Q # @P... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing matched patterns in multiple files with awk

Hello all, I have since given up trying to figure this out and used sed instead, but I am trying to understand awk and was wondering how someone might do this in awk. I am trying to match on the first field of a specific file with the first field on multiple files, and append the second field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlmalowned
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the first word if the word three match

Dear ALL, I have sample file : IDcentos-forum,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome IEfedora-milis,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE IRfreebsd-milis,aix,unixbsd,pyton required output: centos,bash,linuxCentOS,GNome fedora,cli,linuxRedhat,KDE freebsd,aix,unixbsd,pyton Can you help me pls.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnulyn
1 Replies
copt(1) 							z88 Development Kit							   copt(1)

NAME
copt - peephole optimizer SYSNOPIS
copt file ... DESCRIPTION
copt is a general-purpose peephole optimizer. It reads code from its standard input and writes an improved version to its standard output. copy reads the named files for its optimizations, which are encoded as follows: <pattern for input line 1> <pattern for input line 2> ... <pattern for input line n> = <pattern for output line 1> <pattern for output line 2> ... <pattern for output line m> <blank line> Pattern matching uses literal string comparison, with one exception: ``%%'' matches the ``%'' character, and ``%'' followed by a digit matches everything up to the next occurrence of the next pattern character, though all occurrences of %n must denote the same string. For example, the pattern ``%1=%1.'' matches exactly those strings that begin with a string X, followed by a ``='' (the first), followed by a second occurrence of X, followed by a period. In this way, the input/output pattern mov $%1,r%2 mov *r%2,r%2 = mov %1,r%2 commands copt to replace runs like mov $_a,r3 mov *r3,r3 with mov _a,r3 Note that a tab or newline can terminate a %n variable. copt compares each run of input patterns with the current input instruction and its predecessors. If no match is found, it advances to the next input instruction and tries again. Otherwise, it replaces the input instructions with the corresponding output patterns, pattern vari- ables instantiated,and resumes its search with the first instruction of the replacement. copt matches input patterns in reverse order to cascade optimizations without backing up. BUGS
Errors in optimization files are always possible. SEE ALSO
z88dk(1), z88dk-zcc(1), z88dk-z80asm(1), z88dk-appmake(1), z88dk-copt(1). AUTHOR
z88dk was written by Dominic Morris <dom@z88dk.org>, and others. 01 December 2009 copt(1)