Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting checking the value of the variable Post 302204683 by aoussenko on Thursday 12th of June 2008 09:07:38 AM
Old 06-12-2008
checking the value of the variable

Does anyone know the quick way to check if the variable contains only numeric characters, for example:
A=123445 - correct
B=#f123* - incorrect
I am in ksh88i Thanks a lot for help -A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking a variable is within range

how can i check that a variable is between 0-100, like if i ask a user to input a number between 1-100 and i want to excute commands WHILE that number is between that range or else i will keep asking the user to make another input here's what i got #!/bin/bash echo "Guess my secret number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poison Ivy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking valid values in variable

I'm using the following in my script. if echo $cpuidle |/usr/bin/egrep ; then when I issue this statement it issues the value of the variable back to stdout which ends up in my output file. Is there a better way to write this? I'm using ksh on solaris 9. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate variable checking in a script

RH Linux, $SHELL=/bin/ksh I have a .profile which I source in as such --> . .profile Whats happening is the variables are getting validated and generating errors. for example .profile export foo=/to/the/moon when I . .profile , I get : not foundmyusername/.profile or bad... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BMetelsky
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh Checking if variable has 5 digits

How could I check if a numeric variable has 5 digits in KSH...I have a zipcode variable that I know will always be 5 digits, and I want to print out an error if it is less or more than 5 digits the problem is that I have it as: if ] but this won't work because the statement doesn't see 0001 as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developncode
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking variable has value - ksh

hi all, i have a shell (ksh) script where i am reading line by line from a grep command and i wanted to check if the grep command actually returned something or was null. i can do this by using -z : if ; then ..... but this forces me to do something when $myVariable is null when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking wether an inputed character is already in a variable

Hi, i have a variable which holds a variety of letters. eg, var=qwertyuiop what i want to do is determine wether an inputed letter is already stored inside the variable, so i can say to enter a new one. i have been playing around using tr and grep but nothing seems to work at all. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: castillo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking the language variable

This is what I have just entered and received in return: # echo $LANG LANG: Undefined variable. How can this be? I was expecting something like en_US.utf8. Am using FreeBSD 8.2. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the variable in UNIX

Hi, I have a file abc.txt as ABC,TYU,1.2566 AHG,GJJ,1.898 hgh,FGA,1.854 My program is reading each line and storing the values variables base_cy, quo_cy, ra_amt Need to validate each of them as in: base_cy and quo_cy should be a 3 character alphabet among A-Z, if it is lower case ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file depending on the input variable

Hi I have a requirement of taking time as input variable outside the script.depending on the time it will check the file output .like ./script.sh <30 min> so script.sh should run every 5 minutes ie.6 times to check the output file.Can any one please help here. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
7 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)