Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed with a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed with a variable Post 302204493 by ngagemaniac on Wednesday 11th of June 2008 10:40:51 PM
Old 06-11-2008
Thanks!

Option D was right
I was using sed "s#$var1#$var2#" didn't work
on using sed "s#${var1}#${var2}#" worked
Can someone tell me why?

my var2 never had the char "/" thats why # worked and / didn't, i only checked var1 format (my mistake)

Sorry for not posting in the dummy forum

Thanks a lot already

PS: it'd always be my mistake, how can the shell make mistakes Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a sed on a variable help !

Hi, So what I'm trying to do is I have these variables and if they have a dot in them , I want everyting before and including the dot removed. Any ideas ? Something like this I would want : $var = $var | sed 's/.*\.//' but that does't work. I want to save that removal $var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (variable)

HOw can I use any variable in sed command. For example I am using 'sed -e 's/?/$ORACLE_HOME/g' $file_name Here it replaces ? with $ORACLE_HOME. Instead of it I need actual value of $ORACLE_HOME. How can I do that? Please advice. Thanks in advance. Malay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variable in sed

i need to use a value in the Variable to print a particular line from a file using sed command. i tried the below one but its is not working sed -n ' "$var"p ' abc.txt but its is not working please help me to sort out this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variable

Hi Friends in sed whether we can use variable.like the following expression. sed -i 's/ABC/$var/g' filename I am using Kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5 RedHat linux. I have tried sed -i 's/ABC/"$var"/g' filename, still not working.:( Please help. Thanks in advance Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and variable

Hello i would like to interpret a variable in this command cnt=3 sed -n '${cnt}p' file.txt sed: 0602-403 `${cnt}`p is not a recognized function. can you help me please ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the variable in sed?

version=git release=r8 echo lp-testsuite-git-r8.x86_64.rpm |sed -e "s/-$version-$release.*//g" I want to get lp-testsuite what's wrong with me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
Template::Stash(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Template::Stash(3)

NAME
Template::Stash - Magical storage for template variables SYNOPSIS
use Template::Stash; my $stash = Template::Stash->new(\%vars); # get variable values $value = $stash->get($variable); $value = $stash->get(@compound); # set variable value $stash->set($variable, $value); $stash->set(@compound, $value); # default variable value $stash->set($variable, $value, 1); $stash->set(@compound, $value, 1); # set variable values en masse $stash->update(\%new_vars) # methods for (de-)localising variables $stash = $stash->clone(\%new_vars); $stash = $stash->declone(); DESCRIPTION
The "Template::Stash" module defines an object class which is used to store variable values for the runtime use of the template processor. Variable values are stored internally in a hash reference (which itself is blessed to create the object) and are accessible via the get() and set() methods. Variables may reference hash arrays, lists, subroutines and objects as well as simple values. The stash automatically performs the right magic when dealing with variables, calling code or object methods, indexing into lists, hashes, etc. The stash has clone() and declone() methods which are used by the template processor to make temporary copies of the stash for localising changes made to variables. PUBLIC METHODS
new(\%params) The "new()" constructor method creates and returns a reference to a new "Template::Stash" object. my $stash = Template::Stash->new(); A hash reference may be passed to provide variables and values which should be used to initialise the stash. my $stash = Template::Stash->new({ var1 => 'value1', var2 => 'value2' }); get($variable) The "get()" method retrieves the variable named by the first parameter. $value = $stash->get('var1'); Dotted compound variables can be retrieved by specifying the variable elements by reference to a list. Each node in the variable occupies two entries in the list. The first gives the name of the variable element, the second is a reference to a list of arguments for that element, or 0 if none. [% foo.bar(10).baz(20) %] $stash->get([ 'foo', 0, 'bar', [ 10 ], 'baz', [ 20 ] ]); set($variable, $value, $default) The "set()" method sets the variable name in the first parameter to the value specified in the second. $stash->set('var1', 'value1'); If the third parameter evaluates to a true value, the variable is set only if it did not have a true value before. $stash->set('var2', 'default_value', 1); Dotted compound variables may be specified as per get() above. [% foo.bar = 30 %] $stash->set([ 'foo', 0, 'bar', 0 ], 30); The magical variable '"IMPORT"' can be specified whose corresponding value should be a hash reference. The contents of the hash array are copied (i.e. imported) into the current namespace. # foo.bar = baz, foo.wiz = waz $stash->set('foo', { 'bar' => 'baz', 'wiz' => 'waz' }); # import 'foo' into main namespace: bar = baz, wiz = waz $stash->set('IMPORT', $stash->get('foo')); clone(\%params) The "clone()" method creates and returns a new "Template::Stash" object which represents a localised copy of the parent stash. Variables can be freely updated in the cloned stash and when declone() is called, the original stash is returned with all its members intact and in the same state as they were before "clone()" was called. For convenience, a hash of parameters may be passed into "clone()" which is used to update any simple variable (i.e. those that don't contain any namespace elements like "foo" and "bar" but not "foo.bar") variables while cloning the stash. For adding and updating complex variables, the set() method should be used after calling "clone()." This will correctly resolve and/or create any necessary namespace hashes. A cloned stash maintains a reference to the stash that it was copied from in its "_PARENT" member. declone() The "declone()" method returns the "_PARENT" reference and can be used to restore the state of a stash as described above. AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template, Template::Context perl v5.12.1 2009-05-20 Template::Stash(3)