Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting send y /n to a procces after itīs running Post 302204331 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 11th of June 2008 10:09:00 AM
Old 06-11-2008
Maybe you can try to pipe the output of the yes command to your program, something like:

Code:
yes | yourprogram

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail after script finishes running

Hi All, We now have a Log file which has time stamps of all the scripts ran. It has start time and end time. I now have a requirement to send mail to the Admin after the script finishes running. Can some one help me with a Script which will send mail with Start time and End time of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgr1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to ask expect wait for sometime before running the next send command ?

Hi all, After expect catches the string I specify, is there a way to ask expect wait for sometime before running the next send command ? So my script looks like following, expect "some string" #How to ask expect to wait for a while send "next command" The reason I want to do this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send attachments using send mail in Solaris

Hi All, I have a requirement to send and email of body html with an attachment. concatinating uuencode output to the mail body with mailx command works, but as my Email body is of HTML type i use sendmail. my command to send HTML body is as below: export MAILTO="recipient@domain.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total Running Wild

Hi. A shell scripting newbie here. I am trying to write a script that will create a running total of Sales, and increment a counter for each Sales entry, but when I executed the program it never stopped. counter=0 Sales=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales while do let counter=counter+1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

7. AIX

Able to send mail without running MTA (sendmail)?

Hi, I am facing a (for me and coworkers) strange behaviour. When I stop sendmail on a plain AIX 5.3 testing box (there is definetly no sendmail process left running anymore), I am still able to send mails to remote addresses via the mail command. I tried that on another box which is not a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job)

my request is: i have to create a script , which will grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job) Scenario: logged in to machine abc went to particular path: cd /a/b/c then ./script1.sh status (script.sh is a script,whose status gives info about 10 jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner987
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need to send mail only when the job is not running

I have set up a cron, which will send the mail with not runnnig jobs in the script.sh 15,30,45 * * * * /a/b/c/script.sh | grep not | mail -s "test mail" learner987@gmail.com But i dont want mail when all the jobs are running, but with the above cron i will get mails without the content(if all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner987
2 Replies
runsv(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  runsv(8)

NAME
runsv - starts and monitors a service and optionally an appendant log service SYNOPSIS
runsv service DESCRIPTION
service must be a directory. runsv switches to the directory service and starts ./run. If ./run exits and ./finish exists, runsv starts ./finish. If ./finish doesn't exist or ./finish exits, runsv restarts ./run. If ./run or ./finish exit immediately, runsv waits a second before starting ./finish or restarting ./run. Two arguments are given to ./finish. The first one is ./run's exit code, or -1 if ./run didn't exit normally. The second one is the least significant byte of the exit status as determined by waitpid(2); for instance it is 0 if ./run exited normally, and the signal number if ./run was terminated by a signal. If runsv cannot start ./run for some reason, the exit code is 111 and the status is 0. If the file service/down exists, runsv does not start ./run immediately. The control interface (see below) can be used to start the ser- vice and to give other commands to runsv. If the directory service/log exists, runsv creates a pipe, redirects service/run's and service/finish's standard output to the pipe, switches to the directory service/log and starts ./run (and ./finish) exactly as described above for the service directory. The standard input of the log service is redirected to read from the pipe. runsv maintains status information in a binary format (compatible to the daemontools' supervise program) in service/supervise/status and service/log/supervise/status, and in a human-readable format in service/supervise/stat, service/log/supervise/stat, service/supervise/pid, service/log/supervise/pid. CONTROL
The named pipes service/supervise/control, and (optionally) service/log/supervise/control are provided to give commands to runsv. You can use sv(8) to control the service or just write one of the following characters to the named pipe: u Up. If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. d Down. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal, and then a CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. o Once. If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. p Pause. If the service is running, send it a STOP signal. c Continue. If the service is running, send it a CONT signal. h Hangup. If the service is running, send it a HUP signal. a Alarm. If the service is running, send it a ALRM signal. i Interrupt. If the service is running, send it a INT signal. q Quit. If the service is running, send it a QUIT signal. 1 User-defined 1. If the service is running, send it a USR1 signal. 2 User-defined 2. If the service is running, send it a USR2 signal. t Terminate. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal. k Kill. If the service is running, send it a KILL signal. x Exit. If the service is running, send it a TERM signal, and then a CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, runsv closes the standard input of the log service, and waits for it to terminate. If the log service is down, runsv exits. This command is ignored if it is given to service/log/supervise/control. Example: to send a TERM signal to the socklog-unix service, either do # sv term /etc/service/socklog-unix or # printf t >/etc/service/socklog-unix/supervise/control printf(1) usually blocks if no runsv process is running in the service directory. CUSTOMIZE CONTROL
For each control character c sent to the control pipe, runsv first checks if service/control/c exists and is executable. If so, it starts service/control/c and waits for it to terminate, before interpreting the command. If the program exits with return code 0, runsv refrains from sending the service the corresponding signal. The command o is always considered as command u. On command d first service/control/t is checked, and then service/control/d. On command x first service/control/t is checked, and then service/control/x. The control of the optional log service cannot be customized. SIGNALS
If runsv receives a TERM signal, it acts as if the character x was written to the control pipe. EXIT CODES
runsv exits 111 on an error on startup or if another runsv is running in service. runsv exits 0 if it was told to exit. SEE ALSO
sv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runit(8), runit-init(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), utmpset(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runsv(8)