Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting send y /n to a procces after itīs running Post 302204311 by dalmus on Wednesday 11th of June 2008 09:00:57 AM
Old 06-11-2008
send y /n to a procces after itīs running

Hello

Iīm a senior Unix technician, i have a problem: I need send "y" and "enter" to a proccess that are running in memory. I explain that.

I have a server with Suse 10.3 that itīs runnig informix 11.10, this server are a backup server of a database server, to ensure the integrity of data y need execute a command "ontape -l" this command is interactive, and ask you to send a "yes enter" when you change the backup tape.

Mi problem is that command can interrup, because itīs change the state of database when itīs aborted, well i need make script to execute dayli that send "yes enter" to this proccess.

I try redirectin standard input, but this itīs only valid for one execution, example:

temp.txt
[status printer1
stop printer 2
]

serverBD:/DATA/LOGS # lpc < kk.txt
lpc> hpmater1:
printer is on device 'socket' speed -1
queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
no entries
daemon present
lpc> hpmater11:
printer is on device 'socket' speed -1
queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
no entries
daemon present

but this solution not solve my problem because, i need lpc running always

I try with jobs, making invoke call similar to:

echo "y \n"|fg pid

but Iīm not capable to make it works

anyone have a idea?, how i can send "y n" to a proccess that have standar input in shell and can not be aborted never.

Very very thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail after script finishes running

Hi All, We now have a Log file which has time stamps of all the scripts ran. It has start time and end time. I now have a requirement to send mail to the Admin after the script finishes running. Can some one help me with a Script which will send mail with Start time and End time of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgr1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to ask expect wait for sometime before running the next send command ?

Hi all, After expect catches the string I specify, is there a way to ask expect wait for sometime before running the next send command ? So my script looks like following, expect "some string" #How to ask expect to wait for a while send "next command" The reason I want to do this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send attachments using send mail in Solaris

Hi All, I have a requirement to send and email of body html with an attachment. concatinating uuencode output to the mail body with mailx command works, but as my Email body is of HTML type i use sendmail. my command to send HTML body is as below: export MAILTO="recipient@domain.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total Running Wild

Hi. A shell scripting newbie here. I am trying to write a script that will create a running total of Sales, and increment a counter for each Sales entry, but when I executed the program it never stopped. counter=0 Sales=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales while do let counter=counter+1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

7. AIX

Able to send mail without running MTA (sendmail)?

Hi, I am facing a (for me and coworkers) strange behaviour. When I stop sendmail on a plain AIX 5.3 testing box (there is definetly no sendmail process left running anymore), I am still able to send mails to remote addresses via the mail command. I tried that on another box which is not a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job)

my request is: i have to create a script , which will grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job) Scenario: logged in to machine abc went to particular path: cd /a/b/c then ./script1.sh status (script.sh is a script,whose status gives info about 10 jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner987
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need to send mail only when the job is not running

I have set up a cron, which will send the mail with not runnnig jobs in the script.sh 15,30,45 * * * * /a/b/c/script.sh | grep not | mail -s "test mail" learner987@gmail.com But i dont want mail when all the jobs are running, but with the above cron i will get mails without the content(if all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner987
2 Replies
lpc(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   lpc(1B)

NAME
lpc - line printer control program SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lpc [ command [ parameter...]] DESCRIPTION
The lpc utility controls the operation of local printers. Use lpc to perform the following functions: o start or stop a printer, o disable or enable a printer's spooling queue, o rearrange the order of jobs in a print queue, or o display the status of a printer print queue and printer daemon. lpc can be run from the command line or interactively. Specifying lpc with the optional command and parameter arguments causes lpc to interpret the first argument as an lpc command, and all other arguments as parameters to that command. Specifying lpc without arguments causes it to run interactively, prompting the user for lpc commands with lpc>. By redirecting the standard input, lpc can read commands from a file. USAGE
lpc commands may be typed in their entirety or abbreviated to an unambiguous substring. Some lpc commands are available to all users; oth- ers are available only to super-users. All users may execute the following lpc commands: ? [command ...] | help [command ...] Displays a short description of command. command is an lpc command. If command is not specified, displays a list of lpc commands. exit | quit Exits from lpc. status [all | printer ...] Displays the status of print daemons and print queues. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. Only a super-user may execute the following lpc commands: abort [all | printer ...] Terminates an active spooling daemon. Disables printing (by preventing new daemons from being started by lpr(1B)) for printer. all specifies this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. clean [all | printer ...] Removes files created in the print spool directory by the print daemon from printer 's print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers.printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. disable [all | printer ...] Turns off the print queue for printer. Prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the print queue for printerby lpr(1B). all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. down [all | printer ...] [message] Turns the queue for printer off and disables printing on printer. Inserts message in the printer status file. message does not need to be quoted; multiple arguments to message are treated as arguments are to echo(1). Use down to take a printer down and inform users. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. enable [all | printer ...] Enables lpr(1B) to add new jobs in the spool queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. restart [all | printer ...] Attempts to start a new printer daemon. restart is useful when a print daemon dies unexpectedly and leaves jobs in the print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates that this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. start [all | printer ...] Enables printing. Starts a spooling daemon for the printer. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates the command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. stop [all | printer ...] Stops a spooling daemon after the current job is complete. Disables printing at that time. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. topq printer [request-ID ...] [user ...] Moves request-ID or print jobs belonging to user on printer to the beginning of the print queue. Specify user as a user's login name. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. up [all | printer ...] Turns the queue for printer on and enables printing on printer. Deletes the message in the printer status file (inserted by down). Use up to undo the effects of down. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf( 4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/lp/* LP print queue. /var/spool/lp/system/pstatus Printer status information file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscplp | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpsched(1M), lpshut(1M), svcadm(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the svcs(1) utility to check if svc:/application/print/server is running. If it is not running, use svcadm enable svc:/applica- tion/print/server to start lpsched. See svcadm(1M). Ambiguous command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation matches more than one command. ?Invalid command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation is not recognized. ?Privileged command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation can be executed only by a super-user. lpc: printer: unknown printer to the print service Indicates that printer does not exist in the LP database. Check that printer was correctly specified. Use lpstat -p or the status command (see lpstat(1) or USAGE) to check the status of printers. lpc: error on opening queue to spooler Indicates that the connection to lpsched failed. Usually means that the printer server has died or is hung. Use /usr/lib/lp/lpsched to check if the printer spooler daemon is running. lpc: Can't send message to LP print service lpc: Can't receive message from LP print service Indicates that the LP print service stopped. Contact the LP administrator. lpc: Received unexpected message from LP print service Indicates a problem with the software. Contact the LP administrator. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 lpc(1B)