Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using SED to substitute between two patterns. Post 302204047 by Steve_altius on Tuesday 10th of June 2008 12:03:25 PM
Old 06-10-2008
Fantastic. That works a treat. I've not thought about using Perl before. Perhaps it's time I took a look at it!

Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitute situation

I am having a problem executing a sed substitute in a file. I have tried alot of different things I found in previous posts, however non seem to work. I want to substitute this in $FILE: VALUE=33.4 In the script I have tried the following: prev=$(awk -F"=" '{ print $2 }' $FILE ) new=$(echo... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreed1
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to substitute between quotes.

I'm using sed to perform a simply search and replace. The typical data is: <fig><image href="Graphics/BAV.gif" align="left" placement="break" I need to replace the value in the first set of quotes, keeping the remainder of the line the same. Thus: <fig><image href="NEW_VALUE" align="left"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question to substitute data in \2

Hi All, Here is what I'm trying to do with sed: Input File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to change somechangeVariable2=Something else I would like to change ... Output File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to different somechangeVariable2=Something else I would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peace_Dude1
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute filepaths with sed or awk?

I am having the following problem. I am having a lot of files (test_1_01.hea, test_1_02.hea, etc) with the content: project_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ tmp_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ material_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ And I have to substitute the filepaths with new counted ones where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed or gsub to substitute characters!

Is there a way to substitute the URL-encoding references of ( & and ` ) with their actual appearance? for example.... %26 is & say I want to convert every %26 in my file to &..... awk '{gsub(/%26/,"&");print}' Is there a way to do this? I also want to be able to convert ` too! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute variable in sed for special character?

Hi , I have input file like below Hi this is "vinoth". Hi happy to work with 'unix' USA(united states of America) My script variables are below : Dquote=Ộ Squote=&#$567 Obrac=&^986 Cbrac=&^745 I want to read the variables in my SED command to replace the double quote,single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all, I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar": $ cat MyFile.txt DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA' ( @InputFlowDef ); $ The content of Myvar: $ echo "$Myvar" col1 , col2 , col3 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substitute a character with sed

hi all, i'd like to modify a file with sed , i want to substuite a char "-" with "/" how can i do this? Thanks for all regards Francesco (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
16 Replies
HEXMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       HEXMERGE(1)

NAME
hexmerge - Merge two or more GNU Unifont .hex font files into one. SYNOPSIS
hexmerge input_font1.hex input_font2.hex > output_font.bdf DESCRIPTION
hexmerge reads two or more GNU Unifont .hex file, sorts them, and writes the combined font to stdout. FILES
*.hex GNU Unifont font files SEE ALSO
bdfimplode(1), hex2bdf(1), hex2bdf-split(1), hex2sfd(1), hexbraille(1), hexdraw(1), johab2ucs2(1), unibmp2hex(1), unicoverage(1), unidup(1), unihex2bmp(1), unipagecount(1), uniunmask(1) AUTHOR
hexmerge was written by Roman Czyborra. LICENSE
hexmerge is Copyright (C) 1998 Roman Czyborra, and is released under the following terms (taken from http://czyborra.com): "All of my works you find here are freeware. You may freely copy, use, quote, modify or redistribute them as long as you properly attribute my contribution and have given a quick thought about whether Roman might perhaps be interested to read what you did with his stuff. Hori- zontal rules don't apply." BUGS
No known bugs exist. 2008 Jul 06 HEXMERGE(1)