Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting global variable not being set Post 302203847 by era on Tuesday 10th of June 2008 03:15:40 AM
Old 06-10-2008
No, there is no way for a subshell to modify its parent's environment. You need to invoke it differently. Perhaps change the function so that it prints the new value, and invoke it like VALUE=$(function $VALUE) or something like that. eval is another option.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable in awk...

i think..... it's possible use a variable out a awk in the awk ??? ex. A=20071225 awk '{ print "the value is" $a }' OR awk '{ print "........"; c=10; print $c ; c=$A ; print $A}' for a external variable is possbile use in the awk ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable

I have written a shell scritp in which i am using a variable which is declared before a while loop and i am updaitng the variable in while loop and want to use its updated value outside the loop. I am not able to do so, b'coz the scope of the variable is limited to the while loop only and when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepanshu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Global Variable

Hi Guyz, I have a requirement like, i have to run a script every hour to count the number of errors encountered. At the end of the day, i need to send them the total number of errors, that have ocurred the entire day. For eg. if 10 errors occurred for starting 1 hr, 5 for next 1 hr, so on.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global variable value

Hi All, Im new to shell scripting. I am running EgA.sh and setting one global variable XYZ=0 . Also calling another EgB.sh from EgA.sh, changing the value of XYZ=10 but after executing EgB.sh, value of XYZ is still 0. Im expecting it to be 10. Anyone for help. Thanks in Advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paliwal
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set global rm command

Hi, My team does not have root access however many a times my members logon to the unix server and fire the rm command mistakenly on wrong folder and later realise that they have made a mess. The rm -i option prompts for a confirmation before actually deleting the files/folders. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Variable

Hi, I have created a variable say today at the begin having 123 as its value and inside a for loop it gets resolved to some value say 150 in its first iteration. How can I use this value 150 ( 1st iteration's ) outside the scope of for loop ?. In the same way I wanted to use all iteration's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penqueen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around Global Variable

Hi, I am using Linux and sh shell count=7 find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | ( while read d; do if ; then echo "FOUND COUNTER1 is: $count" break 2; fi done echo "FOUND COUNTER2 is: $count" ) if ; then echo "Problem: Multiple or NO records...Please CHECK !!" fi Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set Global variable outside while loop

Below is my code: count=0 if ... ... else ... find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | while read d; do count=1 if ; then echo "Count1:$count" ... ... break 2; fi ... done ... fi echo "Count2:$count" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
mm(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mm(1)

NAME
mm, osdd - print documents formatted with the mm macros SYNOPSIS
[options] [files] [options] [files] DESCRIPTION
can be used to format and print documents using and the text-formatting macro package (see nroff(1)). It has options to specify prepro- cessing by and/or (see tbl(1) and neqn(1)), and postprocessing by various terminal-oriented output filters. The proper pipelines and the required arguments and flags for and are generated, depending on the options selected. is equivalent to the command Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments. Any other arguments or options (such as are passed to or to as appropriate. Such options can occur in any order, but they must appear before the files arguments. If no arguments are given, prints a list of its options. Specifies the type of output terminal; for a list of recognized values for term, type If this option is used, uses the value of the shell variable from the envi- ronment (see profile(4) and environ(5)) as the value of term if is set; otherwise, uses as the value of term. If several terminal types are specified, the last one is used. Indicates that the document is to be produced in 12-pitch. Can be used when is set to one of and (The pitch switch on the DASI 300 and 300s terminals must be manually set to if this option is used.) Causes to invoke col(1); note that col(1) is invoked automatically by unless term is one of and Causes to invoke Causes to invoke Invokes the option of DIAGNOSTICS
sends the message if none of the arguments is a readable file and is not used as a filter. EXAMPLES
Assuming that the shell variable is set in the environment to the two command lines below are equivalent: reads the standard input when is specified instead of any file names (mentioning other files along with leads to disaster). This option allows to be used as a filter, as in this example: Hints o invokes with the option. With this option, assumes that the terminal has tabs set every 8 character positions. o Use the option of to specify ranges of pages to be output. Note, however, that if invoked with one or more of the and options, together with the option of may cause a harmless ``broken pipe'' diagnostic if the last page of the document is not specified in list. o If you use the option of (to stop between pages of output), use line-feed (rather than return or new-line) to restart the output. The option of does not work with the option of or if automatically invokes (see option above and col(1)). o If you specify an incorrect output terminal type, produces (often subtle) unpredictable results. However, if you are redirecting output into a file, use the option, then use the appropriate terminal filter when actually printing the formatted file. SEE ALSO
col(1), env(1), nroff(1), tbl(1), profile(4), term(4), mm(5). mm(1)