Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Generate Random Password in C Post 302203705 by jim mcnamara on Monday 9th of June 2008 02:52:53 PM
Old 06-09-2008
Here is a simple algorithm:
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

static int srand_called=0;

char *random_pw(char *dest)
{
    size_t len=0;
    char *p=dest;
    int three_in_a_row=0;
    int arr[128]={0x0};

/* be sure to have called srand exactly one time */
	if(!srand_called)
	{
		srandom(time(NULL));
		srand_called=1;
	}
	*dest=0x0; /* int the destination string*/
	for(len=6 + rand()%3; len; len--, p++) /* gen characters */
	{
		char *q=dest;
		*p=(rand()%2)? rand()%26 + 97: rand()%10 + 48;
		p[1]=0x0;
		arr[*p]++;                         /* check values */
		if(arr[*p]==3)
		{
			for(q=dest; q[2]>0 && !three_in_a_row; q++)	
				if(*q==q[1] && q[1]==q[2])
			   		three_in_a_row=1;
		}
		if(three_in_a_row || arr[*p]> 3 )
			return random_pw(dest);        /* values do not pass try again */
	}
    return dest;
}

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-11-2008 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: change srand to srandom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a random password

Hello All... Can someone help me generate a random password which will be 7 characters long which contains alpha-numeric characters using shell script. I am looking to store the output of the script that generates the password to a variable within a script and use it as the password. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate random strings from regx?

Hi, Guz! I'm working on a scripts compiler which needs a function to generate random strings. I think REGX may be a good solution to restrict the string format. Before DIYing I'd like asking for any existing libs or codes. Any help will be appreciated! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wqqafnd
7 Replies

4. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

6. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random base 16

How would you use bash to generate a random 32 digit number base 16? Like this one: 0cc06f2fa0166913291afcb788717458 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies
md5crypt(3tcl)						   MD5-based password encryption					    md5crypt(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
md5crypt - MD5-based password encryption SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require md5 2.0 package require md5crypt ?1.1.0? ::md5crypt::md5crypt password salt ::md5crypt::aprcrypt password salt ::md5crypt::salt ?length? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides an implementation of the MD5-crypt password encryption algorithm as pioneered by FreeBSD and currently in use as a replacement for the unix crypt(3) function in many modern systems. An implementation of the closely related Apache MD5-crypt is also avail- able. The output of these commands are compatible with the BSD and OpenSSL implementation of md5crypt and the Apache 2 htpasswd program. COMMANDS
::md5crypt::md5crypt password salt Generate a BSD compatible md5-encoded password hash from the plaintext password and a random salt (see SALT). ::md5crypt::aprcrypt password salt Generate an Apache compatible md5-encoded password hash from the plaintext password and a random salt (see SALT). ::md5crypt::salt ?length? Generate a random salt string suitable for use with the md5crypt and aprcrypt commands. SALT
The salt passed to either of the encryption schemes implemented here is checked to see if it begins with the encryption scheme magic string (either "$1$" for MD5-crypt or "$apr1$" for Apache crypt). If so, this is removed. The remaining characters up to the next $ and up to a maximum of 8 characters are then used as the salt. The salt text should probably be restricted the set of ASCII alphanumeric characters plus "./" (dot and forward-slash) - this is to preserve maximum compatability with the unix password file format. If a password is being generated rather than checked from a password file then the salt command may be used to generate a random salt. EXAMPLES
% md5crypt::md5crypt password 01234567 $1$01234567$b5lh2mHyD2PdJjFfALlEz1 % md5crypt::aprcrypt password 01234567 $apr1$01234567$IXBaQywhAhc0d75ZbaSDp/ % md5crypt::md5crypt password [md5crypt::salt] $1$dFmvyRmO$T.V3OmzqeEf3hqJp2WFcb. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category md5crypt of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
md5 KEYWORDS
hashing, md5, md5crypt, message-digest, security CATEGORY
Hashes, checksums, and encryption COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003, Pat Thoyts <patthoyts@users.sourceforge.net> md5crypt 1.1.0 md5crypt(3tcl)