Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find and delete a file in one command Post 302203594 by radoulov on Monday 9th of June 2008 09:49:06 AM
Old 06-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewee
hi , let's assume i have a file that is located in the l*** directory and this file's name is t****_***s.php , how can i find this file and delete it using one single command ?????
You don't need to find it if you know where it is!?

Code:
rm /path/file

Perhaps you mean somewhere under the *** directory ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to delete Directory and inside files using Find command

I am using the following Command to delete Directory with contents. But this command is deleting inside files only not directories. is there any change need in my command? find -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm -r {} \; Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Could not able to delete the files through find command need expert advice

Hi Gurus I am facing a problem, there is a folder called /a where there are lots of files which are occupying space anything between 30 GB to 100 GB as I am not able to check the space occupied by that folder through "du -sh /a" command as I don't see any output after more than 1 hour of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to delete a pattern

Hi all i have a directory where it has files as shown below.Using find command how can i delete files which were modified more than 20 days ago and having the pattern jnhld15231 or jnhld15232. find ./ -name "jnhld15231^" -type f -mtime +20 -exec rm {} \; find ./ -name "jnhld15232^" -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to search and delete files older than 1 days at a desired location

Hello All, Can someone please help me out in creating the find command to search and delete files older than 1 days at a desired location. Thanks in advance for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to delete old files

Hi, I want to delete all the log files that was created on year 2008. My command is not working. Any idea? find . -name '*.log' -mtime 1460 -exec ls -lt {} \; Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to delete the files

Hi All, I've created 2 files touch -t 201309101234 aa10 touch -t 201309111234 aa11 Exact 60 days before from today date is SEPT 12th . As per the following command as i gave +60 means the files which were created before sept12th should be deleted find /etc/logs/*aa* -type f -atime +60... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if file is 45 min old if yes delete

Hello, we have process2(my_pro.sh) which check for the file Pr_rn_Chk (generated by other process1). The process runs every 15 min. if exist Pr_rn_Chk the process will exit. Else it will continue. I want to check if the file Pr_rn_Chk is older than 45 min delete the file. so that 4th run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar30213
3 Replies

9. Programming

Bash script - find command with delete and exec

hi all, i have devised a script that starts in /restored/ and in there, there are a lot of sub folders called peoples names and in the sub folders are files/folders and it deletes the data in the sub folders BUT not the sub folder itself and it should then touch a file in all the sub folders... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete a certain HEX and its following value in a file

Hello there, I've been trying to do this half of the day and it's like I haven't come a single step further, so I hope you guys can help me with my problem: I have a text file that contains strings that should not be there and which I want to delete automatically from the command line. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfi
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)