Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting lines that match string at certain position Post 302203464 by ThobiasVakayil on Monday 9th of June 2008 12:07:54 AM
Old 06-09-2008
use the following command :

awk 'substr($0,9,2)=="02" {print}' <filename>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with search string at specific position

Hi Folks, I have a file with all fields defined by byte position, but any field can be empty so I cannot print lines based on a search of specific columns. I need to print all lines of this file where the string of two characters at byte position 100-101 contains the number 27. Any ideas? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HealthyGuy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I match lines with just one occurance of a string in awk?

Hi, I'm trying to match records using awk which contain only one occurance of my string, I know how to match one or more (+) but matching only one is eluding me without developing some convoluted bit of code. I was hoping there would be some simple pattern matching thing similar to '+' but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanm
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help extracting a matching pattern and next lines of match

Hi there, i'm having some problems just making an awk script (i've tried this way, but other way can be posible for sure), for the next file file.txt <register> <createProfile> <result>0</result> <description><!]></description> <msisdn>34661461174</msisdn> <inputOmvID>1</inputOmvID>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vicious
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting m lines after n lines after match

Hi All, I would like to extract from a text file m lines skipping n lines after a string occurrency. Is it possible with grep? e.g. qqq ww eee rrr ttt yyy uuu I want to print 2 lines skipping 1 line after the string 'ww' result would be rrr ttt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting N lines match number X of a pattern

Hi All, as the title says I need to extract N lines after match number X of a pattern. e.g. 111 xxx xxx 111 yyy yyy 111 www www 111 zzz zzz I would like to extract the two lines after the second 111 occurrence. I tried with grep but I didn't find any options to do that. Any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting several lines of text after a unique string

I'm attempting to write a script to identify users who have sudo access on a server. I only want to extract the ID's of the sudo users after a unique line of text. The list of sudo users goes to the EOF so I only need the script to start after the unique line of text. I already have a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bouncer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: extracting values from multiple lines after a match

Hi there, I have the following output, # raidctl -l RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk Volume Type Status Disk Status ------------------------------------------------------ c0t1d0 IM OK c0t1d0 OK ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of lines matching string

I have a file with the below format, GS*8***** ST*1******** A* B* E* RMR*123455(This is the unique number to locate this row) F* SE*1*** GE** GS*9***** ST*2 H* J* RMR*567889(This is the unique number to locate this row) L* SE* GE***** (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that match string at end of column

I have this: 301205 0000030000041.49000000.00 2011111815505 908 301205 0000020000029.10000000.00 2011111815505 962 301205 0000010000027.56000000.00 2011111815505 3083 312291 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command or script to print all lines from 2nd position to last but one position

hi guys, i want command or script to display the content of file from 2nd position to last but one position of a file abcdefghdasdasdsd 123,345,678,345,323 434,656,656,656,656 678,878,878,989,545 4565656667,65656 i want to display the same above file without first and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)