Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question on install software package on Linux Post 302203295 by cy163 on Saturday 7th of June 2008 07:50:53 PM
Old 06-07-2008
Question on install software package on Linux

Hello ALL,

I am not very sure about the following two questions, I have install some packages on my Linux system, though.

Q1. Should I log in as root to install a software package on a Linux system?

Q2. If I log in as a common user, say 'Mike', and install a software on Mike's home directory, then do other users on the system have the access to the software. Or I have to use 'export' to export some software libraries.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

looking for SSL software package (AIX 5.1)

When i install SSH on AIX 5.1 I get the following message { A prerequisite package has not been installed. Open SSH requires Open SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). Please install Open SSL from the AIX Toolbox for Linux CD or Toolbox website: } I cannot find the AIX toolbox for linux CD, also on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janr
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Rebuilding C++ Libraries to save Linux install (purely academic question)

The crisis is over. I am just doing postmortem on how we handled it. So this is just an exercise in academics. We have a mission critical system running on RED Hat Linux. It is a turnkey system "managed 100% by the vendor". I put this is quotes because we had an event last night that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

license of software package

Hi when i do a swlist on my HP-UX machine it displays the software packages ..How do i know whether those packages are licensed or freeware can any 1 help me best Regards vasanth (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Question on a security package on linux

Hello everyone , I want to implement a new firewall, detection system on my network composed of some 200 computers as follows: The fire wall would be a linux box with router, L7 iptable and also snort as IDPS system. These are my questions: 1. Is there any security consideration regarding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedkamel
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find dependancies of .dstream package (Solaris) & .rpm package( linux)

Friends, Please let meknow, How we can find the dependancies of .dstream package & .rpm package before installation ? For AIX, We can use the inutoc . command to create the .toc file for the bff package, What about Solaris & Linux ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yb4779
0 Replies

6. Linux

How install a new package without remove old package?

Dear all, I would like to install a new version of package without remove old version on Centos and vice versa. Please give me advice! thanks much, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't install rpm package with --prefix in new path.Error: package is not relocatable

Hello, i have downloaded an rpm package "hadoop-0.20.205.0-1.amd64.rpm" in /usr/local/ directory. I'm trying to install the rpm package in a new path/location (/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205), but i can't. I did: 1st try: Didn't work sudo rpm -i --prefix=/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to Customize/install software package after?

Hi Team While installation of RHEL, By mistake I have selected "Customize Later". RHEL has installed with basic software. NOw I need to install the other package which is available in DVD, How Can I get the same package selection window to install the software ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
0 Replies

9. Linux

Anti-virus Software Question For Linux

Greetings To All! I am new in supporting Linux and recently I was tasked to find out the following information and am not sure how to find the answers, hence this posting... I am running Redhat Enterprise Server 5.4 I realize this is a Redhat specific question, but it pertains to all of our... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
7 Replies

10. AIX

Install software in another directory with smitty install

Hello, I would like to ask if someone knows if is possible to install sofware via smitty or installp in another directorie , or we have to accept the default location? i would like to intall in /opt folder , but smitty installed it in /usr Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
4 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)