Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting column from a flatfile with delimiter Post 302202998 by rsprabha on Friday 6th of June 2008 09:56:43 AM
Old 06-06-2008
Deleting column from a flatfile with delimiter

I have a set of flatfiles which have columns delimited by #. How can a particular column be deleted in all the flatfiles. All flatfiles have same number of columns.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a column in a flatfile

I have a file which is fixed width columns. This is an offset buffer - rather than space or tab delimited. There are upto about 8 columns and I need to get all of the column 5's values into another file. The problem is that because the delimiter is a space - and some fields are blank - the 5th... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a flatfile using Shell Script

Hi All, Can Anyone please tell me,how can I delete a line from a file. I am reading the file line by line using whil loop and validating each line..Suppose in the middle i found a particular line is invalid,i need to delete that particular line. Can anyone please help. Thanks in advance,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a flatfile & deleting first line

I have a small script where I want to see if a file exists & then delete the first line from it. I have code to help me find if the file exists, but I am unsure as to how to then take in the answer and remove the first line from the flatfile: This is what I have so far just to output if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fatalxkiss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rearrange the column names with comma as column delimiter

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, i have requirement can any one help me out in this regrads, in directory i have file like invoice1.txt, invoice2.txt in each file i have fixed number of columns, 62 in number but they are randomly arranged.like for first file invoice1.txt can have columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav62
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column to row with delimiter

Hi, i have data in a file f1.txt a b c d and i want to print the above column values in single line with a delimiter, say ',' The output should look like: a,b,c,d I could find rows to columns help online but not vice versa Thanks, -srinivas yelamanchili (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Deleting all rows where the first column equals the second column

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where the first two columns equal numbers. I want to delete all rows where the value in the first column equals the second column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 1 ABC DEF 2 2 IJK LMN 1 2 ZYX OPW Output: 1 2 ZYX OPW (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the values from a certain column without deleting the Column name in a .CSV file

(14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore delimiter within a column

Hi, So I was trying this awk snippet awk -F, '$1 ~ /Match/' File This is my sample file output Name,Age,Nationality,Description Jack,20,American,Tall, caucasian, lean Mary,30,British,Short,white,slim I would expect expected Output to be, when a certain match is met say $1 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column delimiter

Hi All, I have a file with a pipe delimiter. I need to replace the delimiter with html tags. I managed to get all the delimiters replaced along with first and last but the requirement is that I need to change 7th delimiter with slight change. File1: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)							   User Commands							 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column - columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [options] file... DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file or, by default, from standard input. Empty lines are ignored. OPTIONS
-c, --columns width Output is formatted to a width specified as number of characters. -t, --table Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the separator. Table output is useful for pretty-printing. -s, --separator separators Specify possible table delimiters (default is whitespace). -o, --output-separator separators Specify table output delimiter (default is two whitespaces). -x, --fillrows Fill columns before filling rows. -h, --help Print help and exit. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
sed 's/#.*//' /etc/fstab | column -t BUGS
The util-linux version 2.23 changed -s option to be non-greedy, for example: $ printf "a:b:c 1::3 " | column -t -s ':' old output: a b c 1 3 new output (since util-linux 2.23) a b c 1 3 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. AVAILABILITY
The column command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux October 2010 COLUMN(1)