Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk? Post 302202824 by wrapster on Thursday 5th of June 2008 10:05:47 PM
Old 06-05-2008
Just to be on the safer side, i have pasted my partition table, pls have a look at it and tell me how i need to proceed.....I dont want to screw up my system as i have data that will be too costly for me,if i lose it and its too huge for a backup!!!!
Code:
Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders        Size            Blocks
  0       root    wm       3 - 3190       24.42GB    (3188/0/0)  51215220
  1       home    wm    3191 - 4465        9.77GB    (1275/0/0)  20482875
  2     backup    wm       0 - 7646       58.58GB    (7647/0/0) 122849055
  3 unassigned    wm    4466 - 5740        9.77GB    (1275/0/0)  20482875
  4       swap    wu    5741 - 5995        1.95GB    (255/0/0)    4096575
  5 unassigned    wm    5996 - 7640       12.60GB    (1645/0/0)  26426925
  6 unassigned    wm       0               0         (0/0/0)            0
  7 unassigned    wm       0               0         (0/0/0)            0
  8       boot    wu       0 -    0        7.84MB    (1/0/0)        16065
  9 alternates    wu       1 -    2       15.69MB    (2/0/0)        32130

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

raw partitions

i want to know, how do i to create a rwa partttions in unixware 7 wit raid 5 best regards felix arteaga (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farteaga
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Reading raw disk on Solaris

Hello I wonder if someone could help me in reading a raw (non-Solaris) disk on a Solaris system... I have an IDE HDD in my Sun Blade and would like to read it (using C). It appears on the system and with the format command shows up as c0t1d0. I use the dd command to read the disk as such:... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
19 Replies

4. SCO

create disk partitions in sco

i have one 9 gb hdd having root 2 gb fs now i want to create additional 1gb fs in remaining space unix partation created in entired 9gb thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create more partitions in x86 Solaris?

Friends, I have an 80 GB IDE hard disk on which I installed Solaris 10, the layout being Total size of the partition being 30 GB c0d0s0 = / directory = 15 GB c0d0s1 = swap file system = 1 GB c0d0s7 = /export/home directory = 1GB c0d0s8= boot c0d0s9 = alternates ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

SVM RAID5: Can an app access raw partitions?

I am using Solaris 9 (Sparc based) with Sybase and a proprietary DB application that works with Sybase. In the past we have not used SVM or any RAID config. The DBs were configured such that each DB had its own partition. Now I would like to setup a new machine with the DBs on a RAID5 config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidC_SysEngr
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting root, /home and /srv partitions, as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a unit generator that automatically discovers root, /home, /srv and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). It implements the Discoverable Partitions Specification[1]. Note that this generator has no effect on non-GPT systems, or where the directories under the mount points are already non-empty. Also, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), the units this generator creates are overridden, but additional implicit dependencies might be created. This generator will only look for root partitions on the same physical disk the EFI System Partition (ESP) is located on. It will only look for the other partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is located on. These partitions will not be searched on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. systemd-gpt-auto-generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for the partitions based on their partition type GUID. The following partition type GUIDs are identified: Table 1. Partition Type GUIDs +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |Partition Type GUID | Name | Explanation | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |44479540-f297-41b2-9af7-d131d5f0458a | Root Partition (x86) | On 32-bit x86 systems, the first x86 | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |4f68bce3-e8cd-4db1-96e7-fbcaf984b709 | Root Partition (x86-64) | On 64-bit x86 systems, the first | | | | x86-64 root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |69dad710-2ce4-4e3c-b16c-21a1d49abed3 | Root Partition (32-bit ARM) | On 32-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |b921b045-1df0-41c3-af44-4c6f280d3fae | Root Partition (64-bit ARM) | On 64-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |993d8d3d-f80e-4225-855a-9daf8ed7ea97 | Root Partition (Itanium/IA-64) | On Itanium systems, the first | | | | Itanium root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b844-0e14e2aef915 | Home Partition | The first home partition on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /home. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |3b8f8425-20e0-4f3b-907f-1a25a76f98e8 | Server Data Partition | The first server data partition on | | | | the disk the root partition is | | | | located on is mounted to /srv. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f | Swap | All swap partitions located on the | | | | disk the root partition is located | | | | on are enabled. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b | EFI System Partition (ESP) | The first ESP located on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /boot or /efi, see below. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ The /home and /srv partitions may be encrypted in LUKS format. In this case, a device mapper device is set up under the names /dev/mapper/home and /dev/mapper/srv. Note that this might create conflicts if the same partition is listed in /etc/crypttab with a different device mapper device name. Mount and automount units for the EFI System Partition (ESP) are generated on EFI systems. The ESP is mounted to /boot, unless a mount point directory /efi exists, in which case it is mounted there. Since this generator creates an automount unit, the mount will only be activated on-demand, when accessed. On systems where /boot (or /efi if it exists) is an explicitly configured mount (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the /boot (or /efi) mount point is non-empty, no mount units are generated. When using this generator in conjunction with btrfs file systems, make sure to set the correct default subvolumes on them, using btrfs subvolume set-default. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-fstab-generator(8), systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8), cryptsetup(8), fstab(5), btrfs(8) NOTES
1. Discoverable Partitions Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)