Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk? Post 302202741 by incredible on Thursday 5th of June 2008 01:47:58 PM
Old 06-05-2008
if you've used up all 60GB then what's the remaining.? u using a 73GB disk? at the most u can assign another 8GB of space to another partition. 6 and 7 umight not be using since no space left.
Yes u will use format utility to specify ur cylinder size

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

raw partitions

i want to know, how do i to create a rwa partttions in unixware 7 wit raid 5 best regards felix arteaga (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farteaga
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Reading raw disk on Solaris

Hello I wonder if someone could help me in reading a raw (non-Solaris) disk on a Solaris system... I have an IDE HDD in my Sun Blade and would like to read it (using C). It appears on the system and with the format command shows up as c0t1d0. I use the dd command to read the disk as such:... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
19 Replies

4. SCO

create disk partitions in sco

i have one 9 gb hdd having root 2 gb fs now i want to create additional 1gb fs in remaining space unix partation created in entired 9gb thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create more partitions in x86 Solaris?

Friends, I have an 80 GB IDE hard disk on which I installed Solaris 10, the layout being Total size of the partition being 30 GB c0d0s0 = / directory = 15 GB c0d0s1 = swap file system = 1 GB c0d0s7 = /export/home directory = 1GB c0d0s8= boot c0d0s9 = alternates ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

SVM RAID5: Can an app access raw partitions?

I am using Solaris 9 (Sparc based) with Sybase and a proprietary DB application that works with Sybase. In the past we have not used SVM or any RAID config. The DBs were configured such that each DB had its own partition. Now I would like to setup a new machine with the DBs on a RAID5 config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidC_SysEngr
1 Replies
newfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  newfs(8)

Name
       newfs - construct a new file system

Syntax
       /etc/newfs [ -N ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ mkfs-options ] special disk-type

Description
       The command is a front-end to the program.  The program looks up the type of disk a file system is being created on in the disk description
       file calculates the appropriate parameters to use in calling then builds the file system by forking If the file system is a root partition,
       installs the necessary bootstrap program in the initial 16 sectors of the device.

If there is no disk description for the specified disk type in the file, the program will use the subroutine to derive disk geometry infor-
       mation from the controlling device driver.  This functionality is provided for MSCP and SCSI disks.

Options
       -N	 Runs in no update mode.  In this mode, will not write to

-n	 Prevents the bootstrap program from being installed.

-v	 Instructs to print out its actions, including the parameters passed to

Options which may be used to override default parameters passed to are:

-s size	 The size of the file system in sectors.

-b block-size
		 The block size of the file system in bytes.

-f frag-size
		 The fragment size of the file system in bytes.

-t #tracks/cylinder
       -c #cylinders/group
		 The number of cylinders per cylinder group in a file system.  The default value used is 16.

-m free space %
		 The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold.	The default value used is 10%.

-o optimization
		 Specifies whether the file system will optimize for space or for time.

-r revolutions/minute
		 The speed of the disk in revolutions per minute (normally 3600).

-S sector-size
		 The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512).

-i number of bytes per inode
		 This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.  The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes  of  data  space.
		 If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number should be given.

Files
       For disk geometry and file system partition information

To actually build the file system

For boot strapping program

See Also
       disktab(5), fs(5), chpt(8), fsck(8), format(8v), creatediskbyname(3x), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)
       "A Fast File System for UNIX", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

newfs(8)