Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: learning curve's too steep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers learning curve's too steep Post 302202462 by mschwage on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 11:54:00 PM
Old 06-05-2008
Final word

...Guess I just need to get the last word in:

The nice thing about Ubuntu is that so many things work out of the box. One bizarreness that I found is that you may need to add some non-default locations to be scanned for software updates/downloads (eg, getting Codecs that can't be shipped with the OS). But once that's set up, there's very little hassle in downloading or updating software. Everything just works together.

Oh- except for 3D graphics. That was a hassle too. But that was 1.5 years ago, maybe it's better now.

I even did a full upgrade once... just grit my teeth, closed my eyes, and hit the "Upgrade" button. With no backups (I was too lazy). After much disk thrashing and holding of breath, the machine upgraded fine.

Not that I recommend it. But it's nice to see how far Linux has come and, like you, I am discovering that the older I get the less time I have for screwing around with stuff. It needs to just work or I move on. This leaves me room to screw around with those things I'm really interested in. :-)
-mschwage

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning curve to understand bash iteration

Hi Folks, I know on one side there is script and on another side there is smart script. I am able to achieve what I got but thought there has to be a code which doesn't require multiple lines. So if you guys can help me out than it will be awesome. Also I wrote in cshell but if can get both the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Plotting A Sine Curve Inside A Bash Shell...

Hi all... After mentioning the generation of a sinewave sweep generator in a previous thread in this forum this is the method I decided upon. It plots a sinewave inside an 80 x 24 terminal window. Although the original used bc (and the line is in the code but commented out) it is now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
WEKA(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   WEKA(1)

NAME
weka - Machine learning algorithms for data mining tasks SYNOPSIS
weka [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the weka, command. weka -- start the weka machine learning suite OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -g, --gui INTERFACE Start the weka gui using the MDI or SDI interface. -m, --memory MEMORY The amount of memory to use for the Java Virtual Machine (default: 256m). -c, --class CLASS Start weka using an alternative class (default: weka.gui.Main). SEE ALSO
lush(1),shogun(1),svm-train(1) Weka example datasets are located in /usr/share/doc/weka/examples. Weka tutorials and the full documentation can be found in /usr/share/doc/weka-doc if the weka-doc package is installed. AUTHOR
weka was written by the Waikato Machine Learning Group <wekalist@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>. This manual page was written by Soeren Sonnenburg <sonne@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). December 19, 2007 WEKA(1)