Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers passthrough devices vs. named devices Post 302202331 by thumper on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 02:41:35 PM
Old 06-04-2008
passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment.

As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command
"camcontrol devlist" gives the following output:

akx[22]# camcontrol devlist
<SPECTRA 215 1014> at scbus3 target 3 lun 0 (pass4,ch0)
<SONY SDX-300C 04c7> at scbus3 target 8 lun 0 (pass5,sa0)

The SPECTRA 215 is the tape library the SONY SDX is the tape drive in the library.
To address the tape library a command such as "mtx -f /dev/pass4 command" is used, however to address the tape unit then /dev/sa0 would be used as in
"/sbin/dump -0uaf /dev/sa0 /dev/da4s1e".

Could someone give me a clue on when you address a passthrough device and when you address a named device, or at point me to some documentation that might clear this up?

Thanks
Thumper

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 devices

Is it possible to create the CDROM device file for a drive attached to the parallel port? I have a removable CDROM drive (gift - I'm trying not to return it, but may have to anyways) that attaches via parallel port. The only device that I can attach to that hardware address is /dev/c1t0d0_lp, a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix devices

Hi I am trying to determine the access to unix devices. I found the follow access description which I have been told is a symbolic link and is not the actual file. I was also told that all symbolic links will have rwxrwxrwx access. kmem: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 27 May 28 16:06 /dev/kmem ->... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GW01
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing devices

I am new in unix, and I need to fix a printer, but I don't even know the difference between /dev/ttys printers and lp printers. Can someone explain this to me and tell me how I cancel jobs in both of them? I will appreciate it, thank you. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: HN19
15 Replies

4. Red Hat

USB Devices

I am trying to get a flash card reader to work with my machine. My question is, are all of my USB ports screwed up? Do I need to buy a seperate USB controller? I does not appear that the onboard USB ports work. In trying to get it to work, I typed cat /proc/scsi/scsi and got this: # cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkretsch
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Meta Devices

I have added a sun storage array from a faiulty server onto a new server and copied the md.conf files etc. I can now access the /dev/md/dsk file systems, but I want to delete some metadevices that do not exist (it still thinks the 0 and 1 (root /var /export) disk are mirrored. How do I do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzmosiz
8 Replies

6. Solaris

what is /devices/pseudo/ ??

Hi all, what does this mean? if then <something> fi here is what i know.. it checks if the specified argument no($devid) in some function call is made into a block device and then proceeds with the execution of the loop. However am not understand what lofi@0:means? also is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev X /devices

Hi folks, I am trying to learn Unix based in Linux... In Linux, in /Dev are files related to cards, mouse, etc.. how about Unix? What is the difference between /Dev and /Devices? Thanks, Fernanda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

list of devices

Hi, I need to rediracte all the names of the devices (only disks) to a file. Thanks:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

9. Programming

Raw devices in C

Hi guys. what is the benefits of using raw devices in programming? which applications mostly use raw devices? how can i use raw devices in C programs? is there any system calls or library functions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Raw Devices

Can you please modify my script. This script is not working for i in /dev/sdf do /bin/raw /dev/raw/`/bin/basename ${i}` ${i} /bin/sleep 2 /bin/chown orasm:ordba /dev/raw/`/bin/basename ${i}` /bin/chmod 660... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik9358
9 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.11 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)