Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RedHat Xen vs VMware
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat Xen vs VMware Post 302202269 by mariusp on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 11:42:20 AM
Old 06-04-2008
RedHat / Xen do a very poor job of virtualizing windows and probably netware, among others, as well. It is in this regard that I need to look at alternatives.

So far VirtualIron which is based on Xen with Sles10 PV Drivers is the only real alternative to VMware.

I read that RHEL5.2 will include updated PV drivers but I expect that it will be a few more years untill we see any real advances in virtualization from RedHat Xen for proprietary systems. For linux guests it is a very good solution but we need windows.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Issue between Linux and RedHat (both on VMWare)

Hi All My first post so I hope it's ok. I have VMware workstation 5.0.0 build-13124 on an XP professional box. Within the VMware environment I have two virtual systems. The first is a Red Hat Linux (3.2.2-5) box and the second is an XP Home (sp2) box. When setting up both virtual boxes I set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The_Lo_King
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

redhat xen will not boot winXP cdrom image

I'm running redhat linux: 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Mar 24 12:28:27 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux as my Dom0. I have several other DomU's running on this system, but for this test I've shut them down. I'm attempting to boot winXP from an image. Here is my config file: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: willjw1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Resolution Issue Of RedHat Linux In VMWARE

Hi , I Have Installed Red Hat Linux 5 (Guest) In VMWARE And Host Is Windows The Screen Resolution Of Linux Is Less And How To Increase Resolution , When I Am Trying To Install VMWARE Tool It's Just Showing The Below Message Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Redhat LINUX 5 setting In VMWARE

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have installed Redhat Linux 5 in VMWARE and would need to access through putty form the same desktop or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasiWipro
2 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Redhat Linux 5 settings in VMWARE

I have installed Redhat Linux 5 in VMWARE and would need to access through putty form the same desktop or other desktop, Please help me what are the config setting needs to be modified We could connect through Router (Wifi) or network, also Without network since the server hosted on same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasiWipro
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to configure in redhat linux on vmware?

Hi All, I installed Red-hat linux(64bit-x86) os on vmware 8,configure IP address and services but it is unable to come in to network.it is production server. please provide solution to me , it is very urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to configure redhat clusters on VMWARE?

I'm using redhat 5.1 installed on VMware work station9. Can you guys help me to configure redhat clusters. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik9358
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat 7.2 on vmware issue

I have Dell laptop having windows 8 vmware workstation 9 redhat 7.2 After installation it only get me into text mode instead f GUI Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
4 Replies
XCP-XAPI(1)							   User Commands						       XCP-XAPI(1)

NAME
xcp-xapi - XCP's XenAPI server DESCRIPTION
The Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) is an open source enterprise-ready server virtualization and cloud computing platform, with support for a range of guest operating systems, Linux network and storage support. XCP addresses the needs of cloud providers, hosting services and data centers by combining the isolation and multitenancy capabilities of the Xen hypervisor with enhanced security, storage and network virtualization technologies to offer a rich set of virtual infrastructure cloud services. The platform also address user requirements for security, availability, performance and isolation across both private and public clouds. XCP consolidates server workloads, enables savings in power, cooling, and management costs and thus contributing to environmentally sus- tainable computing, an increased ability to adapt to ever-changing IT environments, an optimized use of existing hardware, and an improved level of IT reliability. This is the XenAPI server, which provides the control plane for XCP hosts and resource pools. To manage the XenAPI server, you should use either the XML-RPC based API, the xe command line tool, or a graphical user interface such as OpenXenManager. SYNOPSIS
-daemon run as a daemon in the background -config set config file to use -logconfig set log config file to use -writereadyfile touch specified file when xapi is ready to accept requests -writeinitcomplete touch specified file when xapi init process is complete -nowatchdog turn watchdog off, avoiding initial fork -setdom0mem (ignored) -dom0memgradient (ignored) -dom0memintercept (ignored) -onsystemboot indicates that this server start is the first since the host rebooted -noevents turn event thread off for debugging -leaves crashed guests undestroyed -dummydata populate with dummy data for demo/debugging purposes -version show version of the binary -help Display this list of options --help Display this list of options SEE ALSO
The full documentation for xcp-xapi is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and xcp-xapi programs are properly installed at your site, the command info xcp-xapi should give you access to the complete manual. xcp-xapi version 1.3 December 2011 XCP-XAPI(1)