Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiple IP adresses on one machine Post 302202133 by scarfake on Wednesday 4th of June 2008 06:57:32 AM
Old 06-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Neither of these resources is the answer to your question. You need to configure your network interfaces and set up routing properly; however, this is somewhat platform dependent. The important commands are ifconfig and route, and then maybe you have a firewall and need to make it cooperate. On Debian-based systems /etc/network/interfaces collects this stuff but other platforms have other tools and conventions, and basic Linux simply scatters this all over the place.
thanks maestro. i try my luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.netrc multiple ftp jobs to same machine

I have an ftp user, which has been setup to run ftp jobs to a specific machine (different jobs). for the first job i created .netrc in the ftp users home directory and added the appropriate commands machine FTPBOX01 login user1 password xxx macdef init etc etc get file bye I use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Setting up static ip-adresses, Solaris 10

Hello, Iam having problems getting more then one ip to work here is my setup! Hostname: nexus NIC: e000g1 (example ips) My ips 80.80.80.15 to 80.80.80.20 Defaultrouter 80.80.80.1 nameservers 80.80.80.100 and 80.80.80.200 How would i do this? Any help would be mutch appriciated!... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: empty
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple folders to local machine (don't know folder names)

Hi. I'm trying to copy multiple folders from the remote machine to the local machine. I wrote a batch file to run an ftp window. The problem I am having is that the only command to copy files is mget *, and this copies only files, not folders. For example, ftp ts555 cd ts555/test ' test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenyburger
5 Replies

4. AIX

multiple instances of same vg on same AIX machine

hi, i am new to AIX and to this forum as well. Can you please help me out with following issue/requirement 1) I have one physical volume (pv1) (a scsi disk). (pv1) on 1st AIX machine. I have a single volume group on it(vg1). 2)I removed it from the 1st AIX machine and exported to the 2nd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navadeep
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniq adresses with number of occurrence

Alo I have a file with a lot of addresses where I want to list unique addresses and the number of theirs occurrence. I have this input file: 0011bd09 ea 01 0b 04 ea 01 0b 38-bd 11 00 98 15 cb 01 00 .......8........ 0011bd09 ea 11 00 98 15 cb 01 00-00 00 00 d8 3d 8d 01 94 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with executing multiple commands in remote machine

Hi, I work on a jumpserver and I wrote a script to transfer a file from source server to destination server. #!/bin/ksh echo "\nEnter the file name:\n" read name echo "\nSelect the Source server\n" echo "1. ODS PROD " echo "2. ODS DROPBOX" echo "3. ODS STE" echo "4. ODS STE DROPBOX"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete multiple files in remote machine

Requirement Several files in remote machines ought to be deleted via sh. Name of the files to be deleted are know Approach 1) script was written with ftp (requires credential) and delete command. File names were passed as array(iterated via for loop-with ftp+delete commands enclosed within... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkalya
1 Replies

8. Solaris

ILOM AND ALOM IP adresses

hi guys How to know ILOM and ALOM ip address. how to find the ilom alerts and alom alerts can one help out pls thanks, deepu. ---------- Post updated at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:38 AM ---------- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepaasuri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convertin IP adresses from a column to a raw + add a comma between addresses

Hi all, I have a list of IP addresses in a column in a text file name ipaddress.txt 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.5 192.168.0.4 192.168.0.5 I would like to convert ipaddress.txt to have the following thing : 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3,192.168.0.4,192.168.0.5 I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliv66
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 11 ssh on machine with multiple Ethernet ports

I have a server with 6 Ethernet ports. 4 are the the motherboard based 1 GBE ports and 2 are 10 GBE ports on NICs. I have set these all up with static IP addresses and use the standard /etc/nsswitch.files. My IP addresses are net0 192.168.1.82 net1 192.168.2.82 and so on till net5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashlaw
4 Replies
route(8c)																 route(8c)

Name
       route - manually manipulate the routing tables

Syntax
       /etc/route [ -f ] [ -n ] command args ]

Description
       The  program  is  used  to manipulate the network routing tables manually.  However, normally it is not needed, as the system routing table
       management daemon, should tend to this task.

The program accepts two commands: add, to add a route and delete, to delete a route.

All commands have the following syntax:

/etc/route command [ net | host ] destination gateway [ metric ]

In this syntax, destination is a host or network for which the route is to, gateway is the gateway to which packets  should  be	addressed,
       and  metric  is	an  optional count indicating the number of hops to the destination.  The metric is required for add commands.	It must be
       zero if the destination is on a directly-attached network, and nonzero if the route utilizes one or more gateways.

When adding a route with metric 0, the gateway given is the address of this host on the common network, indicating the interface to be used
       for  transmission.   Routes to a particular host are distinguished from routes to a network by interpreting the Internet address associated
       with destination.  The optional keywords net and host force the destination to be interpreted as a network or host, respectively.   If  the
       destination  has  a local address part of INADDR_ANY, then the route is assumed to be to a network. Otherwise, it is presumed to be a route
       to a host.  If the route is to a destination connected via a gateway, the metric should be greater than 0.  All	symbolic  names  specified
       for a destination or gateway are looked up first as a host name using If this lookup fails, is then used to interpret the name as that of a
       network.

The command uses a raw socket and the SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT ioctls to do its work.  As such, only the superuser can  modify  the  routing
       tables.

Options
       -f   Flushes  the routing tables of all gateway entries.  If is used with one of the commands described above, the tables are flushed prior
	    to the command's application.

-n   Prevents attempts to print host and network names symbolically when reporting actions.

Restrictions
       The change operation is not implemented.  Therefore, you should first add the new route, and then delete the old one.

Diagnostics
       add [host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x"
       The specified route is being added to the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.  If  the
       gateway	address  used  was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically as
       well as symbolically.

delete [ host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x
       The specified route is being deleted from the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.	If
       the  gateway  address used was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically
       as well as symbolically.

%s %s done
       When the flag is specified, each routing table entry that is deleted is indicated with a message of this form.

Network is unreachable
       An attempt to add a route failed because the gateway listed was not on a directly-connected network.  The next-hop gateway must be given.

not in table
       A delete operation was attempted for an entry which was not present in the tables.

routing table overflow
       An add operation was attempted, but the system was low on resources and was unable to allocate memory to create the new entry.

See Also
       intro(4n), routed(8c)

route(8c)