Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming diren.h : readdir( ) - sorting requirement Post 302201769 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 3rd of June 2008 05:55:02 AM
Old 06-03-2008
Check out scandir(3) and alphasort().

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Preblem with readdir system call

I am trying to read the directory contents throgh the readdir system call. After getting the directory entry I am testing the type of it by using the folllowing macros S_ISDIR() S_ISREG() etc. But in some systems every file in the directory is displaying like a sub directory. and in some systems... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to man readdir(3)

I read the description of the command readdir by using 'man readdir'. However, in the description i was suggesed to refer to readdir(3). I wonder how to see the manual of readdir(3) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

3. Programming

Finding wildcards in readdir

I am having a hard time doing this and can't seem to find an example to help me. This is my code: DIR *dirp=opendir(pathname); struct stat filebuf; struct dirent entry; struct dirent *dp=&entry; RWCString pattern; for (int i = 0; i < request_->getNumStreams(); i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requirement

I am trying to script and came up with a conclusion that I need a do while loop in my statement. I am stuck with the do while syntax. I need to use it alongwith the if then else statement. Can I use it is a big question? I actually need to get all the files that are there from within run_dt to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aronmelon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep readdir

Quick question. I can not get the context corrert on this code. opendir(DIR, "."); @fileldiv = grep(/l*/,readdir(DIR)); closedir(DIR); I am trying to search all html files within a dir that start with l. Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

6. SuSE

problem of readdir on IA64 suse

Dear Experts, i am trying to find whether the given name is file or a directory dirp = opendir(dirname); direntp = readdir(dirp); if(direntp->d_type & DT_DIR) { printf("\n is a dirctory"); } else { //dir_or_file = Mtrue; printf("\n not a directory"); } it always... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
9 Replies

7. Programming

readdir and dynamic array memory corruption

Hi everyone I am developing an utility. At some part of it I read directory entries to a dynamic array: struct list It stores pointers to items: list.entries, which are structures: struct entry If a number of files in a directory is greater then number of elements an array was initially... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: torbium
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping requirement

Hi all, I have little working knowledge in unix shell scripting. I have a requirement where i need to pull out some data in between the strings in the file. Input: TEST a a c f d TEST f e g g TEST Output: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyasrin82
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX - requirement

Hi All, I have a source file with data Name ~ Groups Muni~abc,was,USA_ax,123 Chaitanya~USA_12,was Balaji~123,xyz,was Ramu~123,xyz From the second column i want to extract only the groups that matches the pattern 'USA_%' or if the group = 'was', and ignore any other columns. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
8 Replies
scandir(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       scandir(3C)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - scan a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> int scandir(const char *dirname, struct dirent *(*namelist[]), int (*select)(const struct dirent *), int (*dcomp)(const struct dirent **, const struct dirent **)); int alphasort(const struct dirent **d1, const struct dirent **d2); DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory dirname using readdir(3C) and builds an array of pointers to directory entries using malloc(3C). The namelist argument is a pointer to an array of structure pointers. The select argument is a pointer to a routine that is called with a pointer to a directory entry and returns a non-zero value if the directory entry is included in the array. If this pointer is NULL, then all the directory entries are included. The dcomp argument is a pointer to a routine that is passed to qsort(3C), which sorts the completed array. If this pointer is NULL, the array is not sorted. The alphasort() function can be used as the dcomp() function parameter for the scandir() function to sort the directory entries into alpha- betical order, as if by the strcoll(3C) function. Its arguments are the two directory entries to compare. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and a pointer to the array through the namelist argument. When an error is encountered, scandir() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. The alphasort() function returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0 if the directory entry name pointed to by d1 is greater than, equal to, or less than the directory entry name pointed to by d2 when both are interpreted as appropriate to the current locale. There is no return value reserved to indicate an error. ERRORS
The scandir() function will fail if: EOVERFLOW The number of directory entries exceeds the number that can be represented by an int. USAGE
The scandir() and alphasort() functions have transitional interfaces for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The scandir() function is Unsafe. The alphasort() function is Safe. SEE ALSO
malloc(3C), qsort(3C), readdir(3C), strcoll(3C), attributes(5), lf64(5) SunOS 5.10 4 May 2004 scandir(3C)