Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Assembler compiler
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Assembler compiler Post 302201638 by Roslynlea on Monday 2nd of June 2008 09:31:36 PM
Old 06-02-2008
Assembler compiler

Hi All,

Now recently semi-retired and needing some mental stimulation. As an ex VMS person I used to use the assembly language compiler that came with VMS. I know that my flavour of Unix (True64 / Digital Unix) comes with a C compiler but is there an assembler lurking in there? Have checked the doco and can't find anything. I miss the challenge of assembler.

Regards...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mainframe assembler file into Unix

Hi, I have received a mainframe file ( VSAM file ) . I would like to handle that file in Unix. i.e I would like to take the last record of the file. I have given wc -l <file_name> , it gives 0 lines. Even though It has some lines , it is not giving count exactly. When I gave file <file_name>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thambi
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to use assembler (as) in UNIX? [I got errors using assembler]

Hi, folks, I have a simple program main.c. The program is very simple, just for testing purpose. The program was proven correct by using "gcc". Now I would compile it step by step from main.c to main.o. Here is what I did: cpp main.c main.i <This step succeeded> cc main.i -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
5 Replies

3. Programming

How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries?

To make a programming language you need a compiler, so what was the first programming language and how was is created if you need the compiler first? The compiler itself is considered as a high language comparing to the machine! since the compiler is not created in 1's and 0's... Eventhough i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assembler error message

assembler messages for reading open no such file or directory :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjyotdk
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Assembler for Solaris

Is there any assembler for Solaris ---------- Post updated at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:40 AM ---------- found please delete topic (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

6. Programming

Does the assembler output differ between operating systems ?

The assembly code generated by assembler, from a C-source code depends on the CPU architecture underlying it, eg x-86 . Then does the assembler output of a simple C-source code (containing common function-calls of both windows and linux) differ between Operating Systems ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading hex data from assembler

Hi, I have files that has got ebcdic character set and also, there are fields like binary and hex fields. is there a way to convert this to normal ascii data by taking care of comp & comp-3 fields? Many Thanks!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
10 Replies
File::Spec::VMS(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      File::Spec::VMS(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::VMS - methods for VMS file specs SYNOPSIS
require File::Spec::VMS; # Done internally by File::Spec if needed DESCRIPTION
See File::Spec::Unix for a documentation of the methods provided there. This package overrides the implementation of these methods, not the semantics. eliminate_macros Expands MM[KS]/Make macros in a text string, using the contents of identically named elements of %$self, and returns the result as a file specification in Unix syntax. fixpath Catchall routine to clean up problem MM[SK]/Make macros. Expands macros in any directory specification, in order to avoid juxtaposing two VMS-syntax directories when MM[SK] is run. Also expands expressions which are all macro, so that we can tell how long the expan- sion is, and avoid overrunning DCL's command buffer when MM[KS] is running. If optional second argument has a TRUE value, then the return string is a VMS-syntax directory specification, if it is FALSE, the return string is a VMS-syntax file specification, and if it is not specified, fixpath() checks to see whether it matches the name of a directory in the current default directory, and returns a directory or file specification accordingly. Methods always loaded canonpath (override) Removes redundant portions of file specifications according to VMS syntax. catdir Concatenates a list of file specifications, and returns the result as a VMS-syntax directory specification. No check is made for "impossible" cases (e.g. elements other than the first being absolute filespecs). catfile Concatenates a list of file specifications, and returns the result as a VMS-syntax file specification. curdir (override) Returns a string representation of the current directory: '[]' devnull (override) Returns a string representation of the null device: '_NLA0:' rootdir (override) Returns a string representation of the root directory: 'SYS$DISK:[000000]' tmpdir (override) Returns a string representation of the first writable directory from the following list or '' if none are writable: sys$scratch: $ENV{TMPDIR} Since perl 5.8.0, if running under taint mode, and if $ENV{TMPDIR} is tainted, it is not used. updir (override) Returns a string representation of the parent directory: '[-]' case_tolerant (override) VMS file specification syntax is case-tolerant. path (override) Translate logical name DCL$PATH as a searchlist, rather than trying to "split" string value of $ENV{'PATH'}. file_name_is_absolute (override) Checks for VMS directory spec as well as Unix separators. splitpath (override) Splits using VMS syntax. splitdir (override) Split dirspec using VMS syntax. catpath (override) Construct a complete filespec using VMS syntax abs2rel (override) Use VMS syntax when converting filespecs. rel2abs (override) Use VMS syntax when converting filespecs. SEE ALSO
File::Spec perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 File::Spec::VMS(3pm)