Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort files by date
Operating Systems Linux sort files by date Post 302201621 by itik on Monday 2nd of June 2008 06:20:37 PM
Old 06-02-2008
sort files by date

Hi All,

Sorry to throw this frequent question but I lost my notes on it.

How do you list the files by date? I'm on red hat.

Thanks in advance,
itik
This User Gave Thanks to itik For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort files by Date-timestamps available in filename & pick the sortedfiles one by one

Hi, I am new to Unix shell scripting. Can you please help me with this immediate requirement to code.. The requirement is as given below. In a directory say Y, I have files like this. PP_100000_28062006_122731_746.dat PP_100000_28062006_122731_745.dat PP_100000_28062006_122734_745.dat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chindhu
4 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort files by date, delete oldest, if total size bigger than

hello people i need your help please i want to achieve the following with the simplest, most efficient shell-tools: i have a directory with a lot of files from users. the script should check which partition the dir is on if the partition with the directory is more than 90% full ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort files by date, not showing files from today

Hi all, i'm new here in this forum. I really like the helpful answers in this forum. Here a short question. For a script i have to sort files by date and exclude the files of the actual date. Sorting the files by date and preparing the output for awk is done by this line: ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlosdivega
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort files on date field

:cool: Hi all, I have a pecular issue in sorting these files in Solaris environment. All the below files are modified on November 4th, but I want to sort these files as per date column (eg: 01May07_1623 = ddmmmyy_hhmm) Nov 4 18:27 SONYELEC00.GI22973.01May07_1623.gpg Nov 4 18:27... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivaastrogun
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a set of files by date in a directory?

hi there, I have a directory which contents I can parse dynamically. I end up with a file list. I then want to display those files sorted by date, oldest files first. I have very very little PERL experience...Would anyone know how to do that ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexf
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort files by date in filename

Hi, I am a newbie to shell programming and I need some help in sorting a list of files in ascending order of date in the filenames. The file format is always : IGL01_AC_D_<YYYYMMDD>_N01_01 For example, in a directory MyDirectory I have the following files: IGL01_AC_D_20110712_N01_01.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yuggy
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and move multiple files by modification date

Hi I have a problem, I have a large group of archive files in a folder some are later versions of the same archive, the only difference btween them is that the archiving program we use appends the name with a code for it to keep track of in its data base, and the modification date. I am starting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csv files sort by date and zip monthly

Hi, I'm an absolute beginner in shell programming. I would need a script for a NAS that makes the csv files sorted by date and always monthly a zip. In the current month, the data should be integrated into this folder, so there are only monthly files. Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pipo
1 Replies
TV_SORT(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       TV_SORT(1p)

NAME
tv_sort - Sort XMLTV listings files by date, and add stop times. SYNOPSIS
tv_sort [--help] [--by-channel] [--output FILE] [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
Read XMLTV data and write out the same data sorted in date order. Where stop times of programmes are missing, guess them from the start time of the next programme on the same channel. For the last programme of a channel, no stop time can be added. Tv_sort also performs some sanity checks such as making sure no two programmes on the same channel overlap. --output FILE write to FILE rather than standard output --by-channel sort first by channel id, then by date within each channel. --duplicate-error If the input contains the same programme more than once, consider this as an error. Default is to silently ignore duplicate entries. The time sorting is by start time, then by stop time. Without --by-channel, if start times and stop times are equal then two programmes are sorted by internal channel id. With --by-channel, channel id is compared first and then times. You can think of tv_sort as converting XMLTV data into a canonical form, useful for diffing two files. EXAMPLES
At a typical Unix shell or Windows command prompt: tv_sort <in.xml >out.xml tv_sort in.xml --output out.xml These are different ways of saying the same thing. AUTHOR
Ed Avis, ed@membled.com perl v5.14.2 2006-03-02 TV_SORT(1p)