Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH vs PERL Advantages & Disadvantages Post 302201618 by duderonomy on Monday 2nd of June 2008 05:49:46 PM
Old 06-02-2008
perhaps, if you are doing system programming or administration, then
bash (ksh93) has a more natural and native set of keywords and
semantics, as the underlying command line shell.

if one's task involves lots of data processing requiring complex
data structures, then perhaps Perl would be worth the extra
trouble^h^h^h^h^h^h^h richness.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux advantages?

Hello to help me with my studying of unix/linux outside of work I was thinking of installing Linux at home aswell as using Windows XP. Im pretty new to Linux and Unix, could someone tell me the possible benifits or even negatives of running Linux at home as an opperating system as opposed to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loaded Gun
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advantages of Groups

What are the advantages of putting users into groups? I understand that in a corporate environment, you should create a group for each department. ie: putting finance employees into a finance group. But are there any system advantages for doing that? How would it make it easier on the system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurtmc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

advantages of Perl ?

What is the advantages of Perl in Unix environnement. Is it for scripts ? Text manipulation ? Have you a Concrete exemple of perl utilisation. Thanks you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are some advantages of Unix?

What are some advantage's of Unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin2132
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Failsafe mode advantages and disadvantages

Hi Guys, Have you tried running Solaris 10 on Failsafe mode? What are their advantages and disadvantages? What would you recommend for a roll-back plan in case something happens after failsafe mode? I need to run on failsafe mode to be able to execute fsck. Appreciate your kind... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bocha
1 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)