Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX listing files on remote server Post 302201588 by vasuarjula on Monday 2nd of June 2008 02:23:23 PM
Old 06-02-2008
file count on remote machine

No
I can connect to the remote machine and can view the files.
But when i tried to get the count of files for a particular month, the command we usually use is `ls -ltr *200805" | wc -1`. This gets the count of files for the 200805(yyyymm). But when i put the same command on remote machine the error out is "ls remotefile localfile". Its asking me to get the count on the local file. But if i do this, i have to come out of the ftp , check the count in local file, and if greater then zero, again login to ftp location. This will be a pain. I want to check the count at FTP location only and if greater than zero get the files onto my local machine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from remote server to local server

Hi, I am facing a weired problem in my FTP script. I want to transfer multiple files from remote server to local server everyday, using mget * in my script. I also, want to send an email for successful or failed FTP. My script works for file transfer, but it don't send any mail. There is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing all files on FTP Server

Hello, I am the definition of UNIX newbie so please bare with me. I am wondering the best way to list all files on a ftp server. If I use curl -l ftp://user:password@ftp_server This shows me the root of the ftp server, but I would like to get a listing of everything in the subfolders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dallasbr
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files from remote server (B) to target server (A)?

Hi All, what is the comand to log off the remote server? I have 2 servers A, B. I need to find all files older than 7 days on server B and copy over to server A. My logic is: login the remote server: ================= ssh hostB cd /data/test find . -mtime -7 -ls | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing Files and Sizes on FTP server

Need assistance in getting File size for the List of files using perl script . I have writtern 2 codes. One of them gives me the list of files and 2nd one give me the size for only 1 file. I dont know how to club both of them to get the list of files with its size . #!/usr/bin/perl -w... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
11 Replies

6. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do I require remote login access to a windows server to transfer files from a UNIX server

Hi All I need to transfer a file from a UNIX server to a windows server. I saw that it is possible to do this using scp command by looking at the forum listed below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo connect to a remote server and execute scripts in remote server

Hello Every one!! I am trying to write a shell script which will connect to a remote server and execute scripts which are at a certain path in the remote server. Before this I am using a sudo command to change the user. The place where I am stuck is, I am able to connect to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masubram
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Tarring files to remote server

Hi, I need to tar some files in a directory to a remote server. I need to exclude some file from this directory and then tar it over. This is the command suggested by one article (tarring in the same server) : tar -zcvf /tmp/mybackup.tar.gz -X exclude.txt /home/me However it does not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-46dn] [-l username] [-t timeout] host [command] DESCRIPTION
The rsh utility executes command on host. The rsh utility copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally terminates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -4 Use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Use IPv6 addresses only. -d Turn on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l username Allow the remote username to be specified. By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. Authorization is deter- mined as in rlogin(1). -n Redirect input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). -t timeout Allow a timeout to be specified (in seconds). If no data is sent or received in this time, rsh will exit. If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts /etc/auth.conf SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), setsockopt(2), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), auth.conf(5), hosts(5), hosts.equiv(5), rlogind(8), rshd(8) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like ee(1) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. BSD
October 16, 2002 BSD