Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux on SAN
Operating Systems Linux Linux on SAN Post 302201411 by d_ark on Monday 2nd of June 2008 07:14:20 AM
Old 06-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g
Then I am sorry if It cannot help you. I am not 100% certain, but I believe that rescan script will probe the device again and report the new size.

However, is it not possible to allocate new LUNs and then concat the devices together to new logical volumes, then expand the file system?
I tried running the script again to see if it reports the new size... unfortunately.. it didnt Smilie.

Yes it is possible to create new LUNs and vgextend the existing VG, without rebooting. But the risk is that we might end up with 128 LUNs and the SAN I/O will definitely suffer, or maybe im wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is SAN

Hello all, I have looked at the entire posting that have SAN in it and I'm still fuzzy on how SAN works. I understand that every disk array can be access from any server that needs it, but is there software that is install or NFS mount type situation. One post stated that if your format command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
7 Replies

2. AIX

San:

hi We have 2 AIX nodes running with HACMP and all of them connected to SAN, Our shared storage is shark; I need to create shared volume group and I need the HACMP take a ware of it. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h2aix
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can canvas any opinions or thoughts (good or bad) on SAN attaching a SUN V880/490 to an EMC Clarion SAN? At the moment the 880 is using 12 internal FC-AL disks as a db server and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is not I/O, CPU or Memory constrained and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Multiple Paths to SAN with LVM in Linux?

I'm setting up a CentOS 5 server that will be connected to an HP EVA4000. My previous experience is with an HP VA7400 and HP-UX. In HP-UX I can add "alternate paths" to a volume group in order to have redundant paths to the SAN via dual fiber channel HBAs just by either adding them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Finding SAN Lun's on Linux.

Am trying to differentiate between the local disks and LUN's presented from SAN onto the server. Have Tried fdisk -l, however I quite cudn't differentiate the local disks from SAN presented LUN's. Can you pls. let me know the procedure and commands to find this. OS - RHEL 4 SAN - EMC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_murli
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

how to create same paritations from same SAN disk on two linux servers

Hi All, Storage team assigned same SAN disk on two servers how to create same paritations from same SAN disk on two linux servers may i know options & procedure. But here one server writing on SAN disk and another server reading other files from SAN disks Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kurva
1 Replies

7. AIX

IBM SAN TO SAN Mirroring

Has anyone tried SAN to SAN mirroring on IBM DS SAN Storage. DS5020 mentions Enhanced Remote Mirror to multi-LUN applications I wonder if Oracle High availibility can be setup using Remote Mirror option of SAN ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to Find out if an HP/Linux uses SAN or not?

Is there a command I can run on my HP /LINUX to see if uses SAN? This command work son AIX ls -al /DEV/rdsk however it does not work on HP Linux. Please let me know? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

9. AIX

SAN Migration

Hi all, We are migrating our SAN storage from HSV360 to 3PAR. The system runs aix 6.1 version with HACMP. Please let me know what are requirements from OS side and how are the data copied to the new disks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
10 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Faster way: SAN hd to SAN hd copying

hi! i got a rhel 6.3 host that already have an xfs filesystem mounted from a SAN (let's call it SAN-1) whose size is 9TB. i will be receiving another SAN (let's call it SAN-2) storage of 15TB size. this new addition is physically on another SAN storage. SAN-1 is on a Pillar storage while the new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rino19ny
6 Replies
FCOEADM(8)							  Open-FCoE Tools							FCOEADM(8)

NAME
fcoeadm - The Open-FCoE Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
fcoeadm -c|--create ethX fcoeadm -d|--destroy ethX fcoeadm -r|--reset ethX fcoeadm -i|--interface [ethX] fcoeadm -S|--Scan [ethX] fcoeadm -t|--target [ethX] fcoeadm -l|--lun [ethX] fcoeadm -s|--stats ethX [interval] fcoeadm -h|--help fcoeadm -v|--version DESCRIPTION
The fcoeadm utility is the Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) management tool for the Open-FCoE project. fcoeadm may be used to create, destroy, and reset an FCoE instance on a given network interface. For these operations fcoeadm sends a command to a running fcoemon process, via a socket interface. fcoemon will then perform the requested operation. fcoeadm also provides options to query information about FCoE instances, including interface information, target information, LUN information, and port statistics. For much of this information, fcoeadm relies on the libhbalinux implementation of the HBA API. OPTIONS
-c, --create ethX Creates an FCoE instance based on the specified network interface. Note that if there is not an fcoemon configuration file for the interface (/etc/fcoe/cfg-ethX, see fcoemon), then the created FCoE instance will not require DCB. -d, --destroy ethX Destroys the FCoE instance on the specified network interface. This will not destroy FCoE instances created by fipvlan. -r, --reset ethX Resets the FCoE instance on the specified network interface. This will not reset FCoE instances created by fipvlan. -i, --interface [ethX] Show information about the FCoE instance on the specified network interface, or all FCoE instances if no network interface is specified. -S, --Scan ethX Rescan for new targets and LUNs on the provided instance. This command will not rescan any NPIV instances created on the same port. This will not rescan any FCoE instance created by fipvlan. -t, --target [ethX] Show information about the discovered targets associated with the FCoE instance on the specified network interface. If no network interface is specified, information about discovered targets from all FCoE instances will be shown. -l, --lun [ethX] Show detailed information about the discovered SCSI LUNs associated with the FCoE instance on the specified network interface. If no network interface is specified, information about SCSI LUNs from all FCoE instances will be shown. -s, --stats ethX [interval] Show the statistics (including FC4 statistics) of the FCoE interface on the specified network interface. The information will be display in one line on the screen per given time interval. interval should be specified in whole integers greater than 0. It specifies the time interval in the unit of seconds. If interval is not specified, the default interval is one second. -h, --help Displays the usage message of the fcoeadm command. -v, --version Displays the version of the fcoeadm command. EXAMPLES
Creates an FCoE instance on eth2.101 fcoeadm -c eth2.101 Destroys the FCoE instance on eth2.101 fcoeadm -d eth2.101 Resets the FCoE instance on eth2.101 fcoeadm -r eth2.101 Show the information of all the adapters and their ports having FCoE instances created fcoeadm -i Show the information of all FCoE instances on interface eth3. fcoeadm -i eth3 Show the information of all the discovered targets from all the ports having FCoE instances created (they may be on different adapter cards). A brief listing of discovered LUNs are listed after the target they are associated with, if any fcoeadm -t Show the information of all the discovered targets from a given port (eth3) having FCoE instance created. A brief listing of discovered LUNs are listed after each target they are associated with, if any fcoeadm -t eth3 Show the detailed information of all the LUNs discovered on all FCoE connections fcoeadm -l Show the detailed information of all the LUNs associated with a specific interface fcoeadm -l eth3.101 Show the statistics information of a specific port eth3 having FCoE instances created. The statistics are displayed one line per time interval. The default interval is one second if an interval is not specified fcoeadm -s eth3 fcoeadm -s eth3 3 SEE ALSO
fcoemon(8) SUPPORT
fcoeadm is part of the fcoe-utils package, maintained through the Open-FCoE project. Resources for both developers and users can be found at the Open-FCoE website http://open-fcoe.org/ Open-FCoE 10/18/2011 FCOEADM(8)