Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Whats wrong in the script?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Whats wrong in the script? Post 302201405 by zaxxon on Monday 2nd of June 2008 06:24:53 AM
Old 06-02-2008
For this kind of script, you might use "case" or "optargs" instead of lots of if statements. There is various documentation and examples for it on the www. "optargs" is especially for parsing command line parameters.

And please use the code tags because that makes code much more readable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this 5 line script!

Hi #!/bin/sh user=$1 if " -eq 0 ] echo "No" else echo "Yes" fi I'm not quite sure whats wrong with this but I know its something silly. Any ideas? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this script?

Hi all, #!/bin/ksh BIN=/interface/Gunner age=$1 directory="$2" && directory=. cd "$directory" || exit 1 from=`$BIN/today -$age` cd $BIN for i in `cat filestoarchive.txt`;do cd $i find . -mtime 14 | grep -v '.tar$' | $BIN/dttmfilter | awk '$1<="'$from'"{ print;};' | \ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whats wrong in this Script ???

PATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="xyz@abc.com" Subject="File accessed in last minutes:" find $PATH -type f -amin -1 > temp.txt.$$ cat temp.txt.$$ | \ while read line do fuser -uV $line >> tempmail.txt done cat "$tempmail.txt" | mailx -s "$Subject"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me whats wrong in this?

#! /bin/bash head -5 $1 echo "remove $1 ?" read answer if then echo invalid answer elif rm $1 echo "$1 is deleted" elif then echo file is not deleted else echo "invalid answer" fi What i really want this to do is to ask to delete the file or not..it says something wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me whats wrong with this

#! /bin/bash USAGE=" | ] if then echo "$USAGE" exit 1 fi while getopts lb: OPTION do case $(OPTION)in a) echo Hi there! exit 2;; b) echo hello o) OARG=$OPTARG;; \?)echo "$USAGE" ;; exit 2;; esac done shift `expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my script?

I am trying to find a value within a properties file and declare it into a variable. Script below. I want the "memSize" to be the branch from the properties file. Right now it always tells me "Not found" What am I doing wrong? #!/bin/sh memsize =''; memSize=`sed '/^\#/d'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
8 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Whats wrong with this shell script!!!!!

hi guys can you tell me if anything is wrong with this script, seems reasonable to me but somehow never works. Script redacted for being too explicit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freddo
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Whats wrong with the following

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: ls -ld htdocs drwxr-x--- 3 root root 8192 2006-11-19 10:41 htdocs How would a host administrator... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Larry_1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats wrong with this if-else

hi whats wrong in below?? CHECK=M10; if ; then echo "hello hi"; else echo "how are u hello hi"; fi I am getting error as ./test.sh: line 2: ' ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Script whats wrong?

Hi there, i have a problem i have created followning sh files some years ago but now it dosen`t work anymore i never used it a long time. Can anyone find the Error? Its always runs the stop() block and trying to Killing the Server also if i try to start or creat a new one. #!/bin/sh stop()... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewCannon
6 Replies
CTAGS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CTAGS(1)

NAME
ctags - Generates "tags" and (optionally) "refs" files SYNOPSIS
ctags [-stvra] filesnames... DESCRIPTION
ctags generates the "tags" and "refs" files from a group of C source files. The "tags" file is used by Elvis' ":tag" command, control-] command, and -t option. The "refs" file is sometimes used by the ref(1) program. Each C source file is scanned for #define statements and global function definitions. The name of the macro or function becomes the name of a tag. For each tag, a line is added to the "tags" file which contains: - the name of the tag - a tab character - the name of the file containing the tag - a tab character - a way to find the particular line within the file. The filenames list will typically be the names of all C source files in the current directory, like this: $ ctags -stv *.[ch] OPTIONS
-t Include typedefs. A tag will be generated for each user-defined type. Also tags will be generated for struct and enum names. Types are considered to be global if they are defined in a header file, and static if they are defined in a C source file. -v Include variable declarations. A tag will be generated for each variable, except for those that are declared inside the body of a function. -s Include static tags. Ctags will normally put global tags in the "tags" file, and silently ignore the static tags. This flag causes both global and static tags to be added. The name of a static tag is generated by prefixing the name of the declared item with the name of the file where it is defined, with a colon in between. For example, "static foo(){}" in "bar.c" results in a tag named "bar.c:foo". -r This causes ctags to generate both "tags" and "refs". Without -r, it would only generate "tags". -a Append to "tags", and maybe "refs". Normally, ctags overwrites these files each time it is invoked. This flag is useful when you have to many files in the current directory for you to list them on a single command-line; it allows you to split the arguments among several invocations. FILES
tags A cross-reference that lists each tag name, the name of the source file that contains it, and a way to locate a particular line in the source file. refs The "refs" file contains the definitions for each tag in the "tags" file, and very little else. This file can be useful, for exam- ple, when licensing restrictions prevent you from making the source code to the standard C library readable by everybody, but you still everybody to know what arguments the library functions need. BUGS
ctags is sensitive to indenting and line breaks. Consequently, it might not discover all of the tags in a file that is formatted in an unusual way. SEE ALSO
elvis(1), refs(1) AUTHOR
Steve Kirkendall kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu CTAGS(1)