Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can i open a directory and search a word using awk.... Post 302201401 by stalin2020 on Monday 2nd of June 2008 06:08:14 AM
Old 06-02-2008
MySQL How can i open a directory and search a word using awk....

Hi guys,I m new one in awk scripting....i want to search a word with in a directory...in that directory haviing many files...if i give a work ,it should open the directory and open each file for to search that particular word....is it possible in awk...tell me guys its really urgent....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for certain word in a files from directory

hi can i know how to get the file name of any files containing for example "abc" from a number of files in a directory? i tried "ls -ltrc | grep abc" but no resulted generated. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word search in awk

If I have data as below : 1,ABC,XXXX 2,ABC000,YYYY 3,DEF,AAAA 4,ABC0,ZZZZ I want to get records whose 2nd col exactly match with word 'ABC' I am using command below : awk -F"," '$2~/ABC/' Filename It is retrieving records as - 1,ABC,XXXX 2,ABC000,YYYY 4,ABC0,ZZZZ But in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word and print specific string using awk

Hi, I have list of directory paths in a variable and i want to delete those dirs and if dir does not exist then search that string and get the correct path from xml file after that delete the correct directory. i tried to use grep and it prints the entire line from the search.once i get the entire... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search a word in particular column using awk

I have a data in a file like this 1 praveen bmscollege 2 shishira bnmit 3 parthiva geethamce I want to search "praveen" using awk command i tried like this but i did not get awk `$2="praveen" {print $0} ` praveen.lst can anyone help me solving this problem in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenhegde
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for right word using awk?

Hi- I have issue with the code to get the input file reformat --Goal is reformat and print out only column name one per line, leading space or trailing space will be removed... --TABLE1.DDL as input file, and content of file as show below REPLACE VIEW TABLE1 ( ID ,COL1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)