Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell function, system, awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell function, system, awk Post 302201313 by jkl_jkl on Monday 2nd of June 2008 01:05:06 AM
Old 06-02-2008
shell function, system, awk

Hi all,

I am calling a shell function within awk using system. I am struggling to get my expected output:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

set -o nounset
BEG=44
END=55

shfun()
{
  echo "1|2|3"
}

export -f shfun
typeset -F > /dev/null

awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"; print "'"$BEG"'",system( "shfun" ),"'"$END"'"}'

Code:
$ ./funcawk
1|2|3
44|0|55

But, I want the output as: (in the same line)
Code:
44|1|2|3|55

Please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system function in c

Hai Friends I have used the function system() to execute a command. My requirement is that i have to list the files in a directory applying some wildcard paterns. For example if i want to list *.c files i go with the function system("ls *.c"); and the output gets printed on the monitor.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collins
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ${?} and system() function???

Hi All, I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode' commands for the same and those worked fine. Please find below the same. X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode test.xls test.xls ) | mailx -s 'testing'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk function from shell

Hi all. I have a selection of awk functions which I have written and tested in a main awk program. From the command line I use nawk -f function -f main to run main and call my functions from within it. I now wish to use these awk function again but want to call them from inside an awk section of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use system function in awk

Could any one tell me how to use the system function in awk? I want to use it to print the system date. I have been trying like this : yes |head -1|awk '{ system("date")}' When I execute the above it always returns back to the prompt. Your help would be much appreciated. regards,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_ksv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing coloumn value to system function in awk

Hi all, I have a file which contain data like 1|2009-12-12 2|2010-02-28 3|2009-02-29 i have to validate that second coloumn have proper date i tried like awk -F "|" ' !system("touch -d $2 file1 2> /dev/null" ) ' but its not printing any thing but when i try using hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call shell script function from awk script

hi everyone i am trying to do this bash> cat abc.sh deepak() { echo Deepak } deepak bash>./abc.sh Deepak so it is giving me write simply i created a func and it worked now i modified it like this way bash> cat abc.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

System function in awk

Hello Friends, I have written a script like below, I aimed to move some CDR files (call data record) whose the last field is "1" (NF=1 ) from a spesific directory to a new directory Field Seperator is pipe. If the directory does not exitst i should create it. I will give the script two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)