Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: learning curve's too steep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers learning curve's too steep Post 302201267 by mschwage on Sunday 1st of June 2008 04:17:54 PM
Old 06-01-2008
Personally, I'd recommend going with Ubuntu. The community's larger, there's support for more stuff (drivers etc.) in Linux, they're geared more toward newbies who don't know much about Linux/UNIX.

That's just my own unscientific opinion. Take it from a 48-year-old who's been using UNIX since BSD4.1 (...ehm, around 1983).

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning curve to understand bash iteration

Hi Folks, I know on one side there is script and on another side there is smart script. I am able to achieve what I got but thought there has to be a code which doesn't require multiple lines. So if you guys can help me out than it will be awesome. Also I wrote in cshell but if can get both the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Plotting A Sine Curve Inside A Bash Shell...

Hi all... After mentioning the generation of a sinewave sweep generator in a previous thread in this forum this is the method I decided upon. It plots a sinewave inside an 80 x 24 terminal window. Although the original used bc (and the line is in the code but commented out) it is now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
GETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETUID(2)

NAME
getuid, geteuid - get user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> uid_t getuid(void); uid_t geteuid(void); DESCRIPTION
getuid() returns the real user ID of the calling process. geteuid() returns the effective user ID of the calling process. ERRORS
These functions are always successful. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, 4.3BSD. NOTES
History In UNIX V6 the getuid() call returned (euid << 8) + uid. UNIX V7 introduced separate calls getuid() and geteuid(). The original Linux getuid() and geteuid() system calls supported only 16-bit user IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added getuid32() and geteuid32(), supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc getuid() and geteuid() wrapper functions transparently deal with the variations across ker- nel versions. SEE ALSO
getresuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 GETUID(2)