Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers differentiate between a file and a device Post 302201259 by keith_hampson on Sunday 1st of June 2008 02:47:19 PM
Old 06-01-2008
Well its basic OS stuff so i guess they just chose whatever they thought would be easiest to teach with, who knows!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to differentiate a file from a folder in a FIND?

I have to read a complete folder and if it is a file older that 7 days I have to copy it elsewhere and if it is a folder nothing to make. The way I do it: for I in `find /home/. -name "*" -mtime +7` do cp -Rf $I /home/elsewhere/. done Am I okay with the way I want to do it? Help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: denysQC
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate two tar files

Hi All, I am new to this unix stuff.I just have one doubt:suppose i have two tar files and sometimes it happens that when we just check these files from outside these two tar files look same "Eg: ls -lrt drw-r--r-- 1 oasis logadmin 37067 Apr 3 05:48 file1.tar drw-r--r-- 1 oasis ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate the scripts

Can anyone decribe what would be differnce between the following scripts: #nohup /bin/sh ./job 2>& 1& # ./job > nohup.out & Thanks Alvida (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvida
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script or command to differentiate difference between two input file?

I got two file write now. Input file 1: >data_1 DSFDFDSGFDSGSGEGTRTRERPOYIORPGKKGDSPKFSDKFPSDKFSPFS >data_34 WEEREREWREWOIQOPIEPDSKLFNDSFNSKNCASKJHDAFHAOUDFEOWWIOUFEWIUEWIRUEWIRUEWIORUEWOREWR >data_21 ASDASDQWEQWRQERFWPOTGIUWEIPOFIOFDSNFKSJDNFSKDHFKDSJHFKDSJHF >data_4... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

differentiate $@ and $*

can anyone explain the difference between $* and $@? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ bash dollarstar 1 2 3 "4 5" 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ cat dollarstar #!/bin/bash for i in $@ do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command. l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon123
3 Replies

8. AIX

Any file to differentiate JAVA JRE and JAVA JDK

Folks, Any idea of where can I find a specific file to differentiate JRE and Java JDK installed on AIX platform :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellcisco
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate 2 files name

Hello All, I have 2 Type of files. 1. MYTEST001_RKP_DORALDO_20150402120000.zip 2. CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I can receive these Two type of file at one location. If i receive second type of file CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I have to process without... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Don't have tree, need advise to differentiate dir from file from this alternative that uses find

Hi, I don't have tree on the Solaris server and our SA don't want to install it. I found this example from One Line Linux Command to Print Out Directory Tree Listing | systemBash that more or less does what I am mainly looking for. Example run is as below: $: find ./ | sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
guess-helper(8) 						   NVRAM WakeUp 						   guess-helper(8)

NAME
guess-helper - Tries to guess the configuration by comparing four dumps of the NVRAM. SYNOPSIS
guess-helper DESCRIPTION
guess-helper is a helper program from the package nvram-wakeup. It will guide you through the procedure of creating the files needed for the program guess and eventually will run guess at the end. The output will be a configuration file which might even work ;-) Don't change any other BIOS settings you are not told to change until the procedure is finished. See README.mb for more details. SEE ALSO
nvram-wakeup(8), guess(8), README.mb HOMEPAGE
http://sf.net/projects/nvram-wakeup/ AUTHOR
Written by Sergei Haller <Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at the bug tracking system (see HOMEPAGE) or on the mailing list nvram-wakeup-devel@lists.sourceforge.net COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Sergei Haller. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA Linux Jul 07 2004 guess-helper(8)