Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers differentiate between a file and a device Post 302201258 by Perderabo on Sunday 1st of June 2008 02:40:06 PM
Old 06-01-2008
Version 6?!? That is a very old exam you have there. I'm guessing '85 or so.

The answer is b, the mode bits. For a complete explanation see: https://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/1...rmissions.html

But in that link, I use the term "block special" and "character special" for what you are collectively calling "device file".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to differentiate a file from a folder in a FIND?

I have to read a complete folder and if it is a file older that 7 days I have to copy it elsewhere and if it is a folder nothing to make. The way I do it: for I in `find /home/. -name "*" -mtime +7` do cp -Rf $I /home/elsewhere/. done Am I okay with the way I want to do it? Help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: denysQC
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate two tar files

Hi All, I am new to this unix stuff.I just have one doubt:suppose i have two tar files and sometimes it happens that when we just check these files from outside these two tar files look same "Eg: ls -lrt drw-r--r-- 1 oasis logadmin 37067 Apr 3 05:48 file1.tar drw-r--r-- 1 oasis ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate the scripts

Can anyone decribe what would be differnce between the following scripts: #nohup /bin/sh ./job 2>& 1& # ./job > nohup.out & Thanks Alvida (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvida
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script or command to differentiate difference between two input file?

I got two file write now. Input file 1: >data_1 DSFDFDSGFDSGSGEGTRTRERPOYIORPGKKGDSPKFSDKFPSDKFSPFS >data_34 WEEREREWREWOIQOPIEPDSKLFNDSFNSKNCASKJHDAFHAOUDFEOWWIOUFEWIUEWIRUEWIRUEWIORUEWOREWR >data_21 ASDASDQWEQWRQERFWPOTGIUWEIPOFIOFDSNFKSJDNFSKDHFKDSJHFKDSJHF >data_4... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

differentiate $@ and $*

can anyone explain the difference between $* and $@? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ bash dollarstar 1 2 3 "4 5" 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ cat dollarstar #!/bin/bash for i in $@ do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command. l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon123
3 Replies

8. AIX

Any file to differentiate JAVA JRE and JAVA JDK

Folks, Any idea of where can I find a specific file to differentiate JRE and Java JDK installed on AIX platform :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellcisco
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate 2 files name

Hello All, I have 2 Type of files. 1. MYTEST001_RKP_DORALDO_20150402120000.zip 2. CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I can receive these Two type of file at one location. If i receive second type of file CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I have to process without... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Don't have tree, need advise to differentiate dir from file from this alternative that uses find

Hi, I don't have tree on the Solaris server and our SA don't want to install it. I found this example from One Line Linux Command to Print Out Directory Tree Listing | systemBash that more or less does what I am mainly looking for. Example run is as below: $: find ./ | sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
deallocate(1)															     deallocate(1)

NAME
deallocate - device deallocation SYNOPSIS
deallocate [-s] device deallocate [-s] [-F] device deallocate [-s] -I The deallocate utility deallocates a device allocated to the evoking user. device can be a device defined in device_allocate(4) or one of the device special files associated with the device. It resets the ownership and the permission on all device special files associated with device, disabling the user's access to that device. This option can be used by an authorized user to remove access to the device by another user. The required authorization is solaris.device.allocate. When deallocation or forced deallocation is performed, the appropriate device cleaning program is executed, based on the contents of device_allocate(4). These cleaning programs are normally stored in /etc/security/lib. The following options are supported: device Deallocate the device associated with the device special file specified by device. -s Silent. Suppresses any diagnostic output. -F device Forces deallocation of the device associated with the file specified by device. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. -I Forces deallocation of all allocatable devices. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. This option should only be used at system initialization. The following exit values are returned: non--zero An error occurred. /etc/security/device_allocate /etc/security/device_maps /etc/security/dev/* /etc/security/lib/* See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ allocate(1), list_devices(1), bsmconv(1M), dminfo(1M), mkdevalloc(1M), mkdevmaps(1M), device_allocate(4), device_maps(4), attributes(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. /etc/security/dev, mkdevalloc(1M), and mkdevmaps(1M) might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris Operating Environment. 28 Mar 2005 deallocate(1)