Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to add new paths to $PATH Post 302201210 by static on Sunday 1st of June 2008 04:46:53 AM
Old 06-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapster
Hi all,
I downloaded a tarball of coreutils ....
extracted only to find out that i had to build it...
But when i executed ./configure, this is what i got
Code:
checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11
checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11
configure: autobuild project... GNU coreutils
configure: autobuild revision... 6.4
configure: autobuild hostname... Harivayu
configure: autobuild timestamp... 20080531-213259
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... build-aux/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Upon reading the final few lines i found out that C compiler was not being detected...
this is not possible as gcc and c are both in /usr/sfw/bin/
But when i echoed $PATH...
this destination was not set...
So i wanted to know how to edit $PATH so that i can specify pathsfor gcc and c and make it stay in $PATH over reboots....
I also searched for .bashrc but this not present in solaris (b83)so do i have to write my own .bashrc file,if so how do i do it?

thanks
add these lines:

Code:
PATH="$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/opt/csw/bin:/opt/csw/sbin:/opt/csw/gcc3/bin:/usr/sfw/sbin:/usr/sfw/bin:/opt/csw/mysql5/bin"
export PATH

into your /etc/profile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add cc path

hello , when i am deploying a server software , i am getting this error: checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH can any body help , how to correct this. , i have shown my path statement. # echo $PATH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: definate
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Unavailable/Slow Network Paths in $PATH

At work, I'm in a Solaris environment working with csh, and $PATH is populated with anywhere between 10 and 20 entries. Last week, every command I issued (even "ls") took several seconds, if not an entire minute, to run. Once I moved "/home/sybase/bin" to the end of $PATH, certain commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheong87
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Removing Dead Paths And Unusable Path Solaris 9

Hi, One of our Solaris servers was peviously zoned and connected to 2 seperate arrays, one HP and the other EMC. The server is now only connected to the EMC. The sever has x2 single port HBA's. When running cfgadm I see the following: root@qwicprod /dev/rdsk]# cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
6 Replies

4. Solaris

add PATH as root

Sorry this maybe a dumb one, but I am root and want to add something to my PATH. Is the right place to do it here: /usr/dt/config/dtspcdenv ? If so, after I add it, how do I source it? Neither "source <file>" nor ". <file>" work. How does the above file work... is there another... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve701
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure $PATH in /.bash_profile or /etc/paths?

Hi - I am trying to include the MSQ.exe that I have downloaded for the sake of learning. My current /.bash_profile file reads: PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:$PATH export PATH ----------------------------------- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add a path variable

Hi, I tried to add a path vairable export GPLOAD_CONNECT_STR= -U crm -h sdc-gp1-dev1 -d wmgpdev but it throws the below error -bash: export: `-U': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `-h': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `sdc-gp1-dev1': not a valid identifier -bash: export:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add directory to a global PATH

Guys, I did a search on this but couldn't find any thing. I need to add /home/scadm/scripts to the PATH. If I do the below it works for the session I'm in. If I close it and reopen it doesnt work. PATH=$PATH\:/home/scadm/scripts ; export PATH I also want this path added to all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't add directory to path correctly

Hello everyone I am a newcomer to UNIX and I have hit a snag in something that would probably take experienced people about 30 seconds. Long story short I am trying to add a directory to my PATH and it is getting added but not working. I mean, the object of adding it to the path is so I can access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dynamically add paths to inotify

I have initiated an inotify process with --fromfile option and the file contain the paths to be monitored. /usr/local/maldetect/inotify/inotifywait -d -r -o /usr/local/maldetect/inotify/inotify_log --fromfile /usr/local/maldetect/sess/inotify.paths.28364 --exclude (^/var/tmp/mysql.sock)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Add directory to path permanently

I ssh in and am trying to add a directory permanently to $PATH in centos 7 and having issues. My current $PATH is echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin but when I do a sudo nano ~/.bashrc # .bashrc # User specific aliases and functions alias... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
SYSTEMD-PATH(1) 						   systemd-path 						   SYSTEMD-PATH(1)

NAME
systemd-path - List and query system and user paths SYNOPSIS
systemd-path [OPTIONS...] [NAME...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-path may be used to query system and user paths. The tool makes many of the paths described in file-hierarchy(7) available for querying. When invoked without arguments, a list of known paths and their current values is shown. When at least one argument is passed, the path with this name is queried and its value shown. The variables whose name begins with "search-" do not refer to individual paths, but instead to a list of colon-separated search paths, in their order of precedence. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --suffix= The printed paths are suffixed by the specified string. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), file-hierarchy(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-PATH(1)