Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass perl variable to sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass perl variable to sed Post 302201173 by userix on Saturday 31st of May 2008 03:01:00 PM
Old 05-31-2008
I have a similar issue. I also need to pass a perl variable into the sed command as follows:

Code:
system("sed -e s/",$test[0],"/",$test[1],"/g file > output");

Basically, I want to have my perl script call the sed command to search for the string in subscript 0 of the 'test' array and replace it with subscript 1 of the 'test' array. I tried hi_ryo's method, but it didn't work in my case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to sed?

Hi there. If variables are named inside of a ksh script, how is it possible to pass these to sed? The affected portion of my script goes something like this: A=`cut -d. -f1 $FILE` B=`cut -d. -f2 $FILE` C=`cut -d. -f3 $FILE` sed 's/1111/$A/g;s/2222/$B/g;s/3333/$C/g' file > anotherfile ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass csh variable to Perl

Hi All, I am trying to put the csh variable into a perl. In the below case, i am trying to put the csh variable "var" into my perl code. I tried to use '"$var"' but i don;t think it works. Can anybody help me pls? #!/bin/csh set var = `echo "xxx"` perl myperlcode.pl file ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass a variable to sed p in a loop?

Hi, Thanks for looking,,,, (kornshell) tmp3 is a list of line numbers I want to print the lines from my list code: while read j do echo $j #works fine echo $filename #works fine #sed "'$jp'" "$filename" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnMario
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass variable to sed like in awk (-v switch)

hi all is possible to pass shell (bash) variable to sed like it is in awk? example: awk script is storred in awk.awk file and I am passing variable called var to this file. $ cat awk.awk {if ($5==var) print $0} so it works when i issue $ bash_var=24 $ ls -l | awk -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL script -- calling 'sed' by passing 'variable value'.

Hi Friends, I'm calling 'sed' command inside one perl script, which is to list directory names which are having some date value as their names (in the form YYYYMMDD) with in the range (start and end date). #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $DATA = "/export/home/ganapa"; my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

pass a variable line number to sed

num=10 sed -n '$num p' test.txt sed -n '10 p' test.txt works however i am putting the sed command in a loop and the line number is not static Can someone please help me how to achive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figure20012
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)