Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Creating New Users in UNIX Machine !!! Post 302200739 by nua7 on Friday 30th of May 2008 01:25:23 AM
Old 05-30-2008
Simple user

Code:
login as root 
adduser <username> 
-- this is sometimes useradd...you have to watch out depending on your flavour of unix
passwd <username> 
-- change the passwd for the user you have just added

More complex user
Code:
login as root 
adduser <username> -c <comment> -d <home directory of user> -g <primary group of this user> -G <a comma delimited list of groups to which this user belongs> -m -k <directory to make this new directory look like> -s <users shell>

passwd <username> 
-- change the passwd for the user you have just added

[/CODE]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating Users!!!!

Can any body show me how to create users......... Thnx.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ocpguy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating Users with SMC

Hi, I tried to create a user test1 using SMC and its only partially created with following errors: Jun 25 13:44:54 wasana WBEM_Logging_Service: The alias for user test1 could not be created. This indicates an error accessing the alias table. The error was null. Jun 25 13:44:54 wasana... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

creating users

hi, can any one help in how to get the numeric user id through useradd command ?? or any other command for the same?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaraj
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How many users are there in solaris machine ?

Dears How can i find , how many users are in solaries machine ? any command please . regards Halim (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Halimju
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating groups and users

Hi Could anyone please suggest how we can check in Linux if a user or a group name is already existing? In case of a user the command should also be able to specify the user with a given directory and shell. We can of course check this using a grep command but since that is just a pattern match,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dorothy
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for creating users

Hi, I wants to create the users for multiple machine from single main server using the shell script ,can you please help me on this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Migrating users from old machine to new machine

What is the best way to move all user, with permission etc... from a old linux redhat 5 to a new redhat 6 machine. It is as simple as coping the etc/passwd file etc.. ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: da2013
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get total number of users and their groups in remote UNIX machine

Hi All I am trying to do ssh to different server and on the remote server for each user trying to get groups of that user but i am not getting the required result. ssh username@ip_address "for i in $( cat /etc/passwd| cut -d: -f1);do groups $i done;exit" >>abc.txt only names are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ekamjot
5 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)