Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers differentiate between a file and a device Post 302200691 by keith_hampson on Thursday 29th of May 2008 09:57:34 PM
Old 05-29-2008
differentiate between a file and a device

sorry probably a beginner question but i was just wondering how unix does this as device are treated as files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to differentiate a file from a folder in a FIND?

I have to read a complete folder and if it is a file older that 7 days I have to copy it elsewhere and if it is a folder nothing to make. The way I do it: for I in `find /home/. -name "*" -mtime +7` do cp -Rf $I /home/elsewhere/. done Am I okay with the way I want to do it? Help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: denysQC
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate two tar files

Hi All, I am new to this unix stuff.I just have one doubt:suppose i have two tar files and sometimes it happens that when we just check these files from outside these two tar files look same "Eg: ls -lrt drw-r--r-- 1 oasis logadmin 37067 Apr 3 05:48 file1.tar drw-r--r-- 1 oasis ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate the scripts

Can anyone decribe what would be differnce between the following scripts: #nohup /bin/sh ./job 2>& 1& # ./job > nohup.out & Thanks Alvida (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvida
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script or command to differentiate difference between two input file?

I got two file write now. Input file 1: >data_1 DSFDFDSGFDSGSGEGTRTRERPOYIORPGKKGDSPKFSDKFPSDKFSPFS >data_34 WEEREREWREWOIQOPIEPDSKLFNDSFNSKNCASKJHDAFHAOUDFEOWWIOUFEWIUEWIRUEWIRUEWIORUEWOREWR >data_21 ASDASDQWEQWRQERFWPOTGIUWEIPOFIOFDSNFKSJDNFSKDHFKDSJHFKDSJHF >data_4... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

differentiate $@ and $*

can anyone explain the difference between $* and $@? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ bash dollarstar 1 2 3 "4 5" 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/training$ cat dollarstar #!/bin/bash for i in $@ do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command

how to differentiate file and directory name using ls command. l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon123
3 Replies

8. AIX

Any file to differentiate JAVA JRE and JAVA JDK

Folks, Any idea of where can I find a specific file to differentiate JRE and Java JDK installed on AIX platform :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellcisco
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate 2 files name

Hello All, I have 2 Type of files. 1. MYTEST001_RKP_DORALDO_20150402120000.zip 2. CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I can receive these Two type of file at one location. If i receive second type of file CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I have to process without... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Don't have tree, need advise to differentiate dir from file from this alternative that uses find

Hi, I don't have tree on the Solaris server and our SA don't want to install it. I found this example from One Line Linux Command to Print Out Directory Tree Listing | systemBash that more or less does what I am mainly looking for. Example run is as below: $: find ./ | sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
DVHTOOL(8)						      System Manager's Manual							DVHTOOL(8)

NAME
dvhtool - Disk volume header manipulation tool SYNOPSIS
dvhtool --device devicename [ option ] dvhtool -d devicename [ option ] DESCRIPTION
dvhtool is a utility for displaying SGI disk partition and volume header information as well as for copying files to and from the volume header. It is similar to the IRIX(tm) utility of the same name, however the options and usage are quite different. Also, the IRIX utility cannot display partition and boot file information. The disk volume header includes the disk partition table and the volume directory. The volume directory is an index to the files stored in the volume header part of the disk. These files can be anything but are usually standalone programs (like sash, the SGI standalone shell). The space available for files is usually limited to one, two or a few megabytes, this can only be changed by repartitioning the disk with fx, the SGI disk formatting and partitioning tool or fdisk. You must be root to invoke dvhtool. The device name can be /dev/sda for the first disk, /dev/sdb for the second, and so on. dvhtool will also work on a file image of a disk volume header. OPTIONS -d, --device devicename Specify the volume header device name (or file image) --print-volume-header Show volume header data only --print-volume-directory Show volume table of contents --print-partitions Show partition data --print-all Equivalent to all three above options --vh-remove name Remove volhdr file name. --vh-to-unix name file Copy volhdr file name to Unix file file --unix-to-vh file name Copy Unix file file to volhdr as name --help Show usage information SEE ALSO
fdisk(8) IRIX tools: fx(1M), prtvtoc(1M), vh(7M). AUTHORS
dvhtool was written by Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, Keith M. Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org>, Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no>, Guido Guenther <agx@debian.org>. 4th Berkeley Distribution July 2000 DVHTOOL(8)